We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Switzerland

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in Switzerland

I'm planning for a 3 day trip to switzerland. My flight is to and from Zurich. Can you give me an itenary so that I can make the most of my 3 day trip?

Places I like to see(priority-wise)

Rhine falls,

Is this doable? Is it better to stay overnight in Zurich or any other place as per the travel itenary based on the above places. Would appreciate suggestions and ideas.

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,026 Reviews
from $170.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
355 Reviews
from $245.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,041 Reviews
from $245.60*
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Switzerland

Hi hellOworld,

First, I have to ask if this is two nights/three days or three nights/four days?

Unfortunately, no, I don't think it would be possible to see all that you list in three days, and it certainly wouldn't be fun or memorable. The Engadin Valley is in the far eastern part of the country; Locarno is in the southern part of the country; Rhine Falls is in the northern part of the country; Lausanne is in the western part of the country; while Jungfrau, Luzern, and Bern are in the central part.

I suggest that you pick one part of the country and concentrate your visit there. You will have the time to actually see the place and to soak up the views so that you can remember them.

One good (and wll-tried) itinerary would be to land in Zürich and go to Luzern, spend the first night there and see Luzern. Go to the Jungfrau area the next day and spend two nights seeing Bern and the Jungfrau villages.

Alternately, just to go Luzern and spend your three days enjoying the lakes, lakeside villages, and mountains outside of the city. Luzern has something of all of Switzerland, so it's like seeing all-of-Switzerland in one spot.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Switzerland

What time does the plane land in and depart from Zurich? Depending on that, you could either spend your first day or last day in Zurich. You can do the Rhine falls from Zurich. Then you could go to a place like Luzern (you could see the old city and a mountain peak like Pilatus or Titlis etc) or go to the Bernese Oberland(BO) towns like Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen (great little place with nice waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen too, in case you want to sacrifice Rhine falls due to time) In the BO, you can visit the Jungfraujoch, other peaks etc

During my visit, we loved the Bernese Oberland region the best. I suggest that you concentrate on the Bernese Oberland to get the real feel of Switzerland and if time permits, Luzern.

I am afraid you need to drop Locarno, Lausanne, Engadin. Bern is doable from Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
224 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Switzerland

Why not just enjoy Zurich? There is more than enough to do to fill 3 days - the old town, the zoo, the paddle steamer ferry, the shops etc etc. Having to switch hotels, with packing, checking in and out, etc is something I would find as a terrible waste of precious time.

Also, check out tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188113-d2… - I am very much looking forward to that myself - even though I thought I knew Zurich after 10 years living on the outskirts!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,235 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Switzerland

With just three days, you should stick to Zurich and the surroundings. Spend one day at Zurich itself. Using it as a base, you can pick from the following day trips:

Rhine Falls, Stein-am-Rhein and Schaffhausen

Lucerne, Mt. Pilatus

Jungfrau is too far and too expensive for a day trip in my opinion.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in Switzerland

Hi hellOworld

I would like to opt for one base only. As Lucerne is only one train hour away from the airport, I would go there.

If your flight arrives in the morning or early afternoon you could leave your luggageat Zurich HB (main station) and see the rhine fall from there. In the early evening you could head to Lucerne.

Look on www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for things to do etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in Switzerland

Hi, Thanks a lot for the advice. It is a 3 nite trip, but since I will be reaching at night, it would be just 3 days as well. Will try to visit some places this time and save the rest for my next trip. Planning to keep my base as zurich and travel from there.

7. Re: Three days in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 am, May 23, 2012