We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Round Hill, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

Any suggestions on local, non-touristy places to eat in Zurich? I don't need anything fancy, just good Swiss food. I speak and read enough German to get by in a restaurant, so that's not a problem. I'll be staying near ETH, but anywhere from there to the city center is okay, too.

Thanks!

P.S. Is it a major faux pas to order a cheese fondue for one? I'm traveling by myself, but really love fondue.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

You have heaps and heaps of studenty places around there - definitely not touristy.

A fondue for one may be a problem since it is usually eaten by small groups and there might not be a small enough caquelon available - so you may need to eat the double portion :-)

Edited: 11:47 am, March 12, 2010
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
93 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

Although more international than Swiss, one restaurant I have enjoyed a number of times in Zurich is The Reithalle...

www.restaurant-reithalle.ch/reithalle.php

Have fun!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,669 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

Fondue is something that we eat in the mountains, not in towns. Tourists eat it in towns...so if you do not want to eat in a "tourist" restaurant...don't look for fondue in Zurich!

On the other hand, there are some restaurants in Zurich that the ordinary tourist will not know about. These are the "Zunfthäuser" or Guild Houses. There are a fair number of them. My all time favourite is the Zimmerlauten, but it is closed at present due to a fire a couple of years ago. I also like the Haue, on the Limmatquai. The tourist office gives a list of them and here is the link (stay awy from Zum Grünen Glas as it is transformed itself into a (very nice) Italian place...nice in the summer because it has a garden...

zuerich.com/en/…

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

We have always enjoyed the Zeughauskeller restaurant. While not cheap, the #47 'Kalbsgeschnetzeltes nach Zürcher Art' is fantastic.

zeughauskeller.ch/english/angebote/frame0.htm

The restaurant is across the street east from the Paradeplatz tram platz.

5. Re: Non-touristy places to eat in Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 09, 2010