We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Zurich city

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Villages...
Level Contributor
189 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Zurich city

My husband and I will be arriving Zurich airport in June and need to get to our hote lin Zurich right near the train station. We will each have a suitcase plus a carry on luggage. I was thinking of taking the train instead of a taxi or car service as we usually do in Europe. Are these trains into the city from the airport the same as regular trains between cities? My concern is will we be okay with all that luggage or are these trains different. Would we keep our luggage with us or store at the end of the train car ? If not good what would be the cost of a taxi from the airport to the Central Plaza hotel?

Thanks for you help.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,109 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Zurich city

Hi jojo,

It's dead easy to go by train to and from the city; I've done it numerous times. I'm a single, over-50, small-framed woman.

At the airport, just pile your bags onto a trolley, and then wheel it all the way to the basement where the tracks are; there are escalators or elevators you'll use. There are pictograms that point the way, and it's easy to do.

The trains run about every 15 minutes, and the trip takes about 30 minutes. Yes, they are the regular trains, and they will be coming from and going to all places around the country: Geneva, Winterthur, etc. If your cases are small, they will fit in the racks above the seats, but if they are larger, you'll put them at the end of the carriage. I do this all the time and haven't ever had a moment of anxiety -- I keep my valuables with me alway, so any thief would get away with a bunch of old clothes.

If you are really concerned about theft, you can always buy a small-ish bike-cable lock and bring that along to secure your bag/s to the hardware in the train. Alternately, you could go first class on the train, which is always less crowded, and where people tend to put their luggage wherever they want to!

A taxi will cost upwards of 50 chf, plus tip. The train is around 7 chf per person.

You can check the train schedules at the rail site

www.rail.ch

Simply use

From Zurich airport

To Zurich

Have fun!

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Zurich city

Excellent information from Swandav, beside of the fact that trains from airport to Zurich downtown only take 10-15 min. instead of 30 min.

You can buy your ticket from one of the vending machines at the station, or there is a ticket office as well. And the ticket would be valid as well for any mean of transport within the city. Not necessary though in your case as the Central Plaza is just across the bridge from the main station (Hauptbahnhof or HB in German).

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Zurich city

I am also looking for transportation from the airport to downtown. We are two adults + child, and we will be staying at the Zurich Marriott hotel. What is the name of the train stop that we get off at downtown. From there, is there a bus we can take, taxi or walking?

On another note, our flight from Zurich to Berlin is in the early morning (7:30 am) What do you recommend for transportation at that time?

Any help is appreciated for these two questions.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Zurich city

The Marriott is an easy walk of 5 Minutes from the main train station, called Hauptbahnhof or HB in German. Every train from the airport to Zurich stops here. With heavy luggage you could of course also consider taking a taxi from the train station.

Trains start running from 5 am - so no problem to take one again for your return journey.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
83 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Zurich city

Thanks!

6. Re: Airport to Zurich city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 27, 2010