We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family in Zurich now what do we do?

dallas
1 post
Save Topic
Family in Zurich now what do we do?

My wife and kids and I are arriving in Zurich in late Nov. We are planning on going down into Italy for a week. We are only going to be in Zurich 1-2 days. Where would you stay and what would you recomend as a must see. Our kids are 9,7,and 4. All boys!

2-Hour Zurich City Walking Tour
37 reviews
from $26.00*
Zurich Old Town Walking Tour
22 reviews
from $26.38*
Special Offer
Supersaver: Zurich Tour, Rhine Falls
15 reviews
from $90.75*
$101.30
Private Zurich City Tour
4 reviews
from $217.38*
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family in Zurich now what do we do?

On 24th of November the Christmas lights will be turned on. So a stroll through Bahnhofstrasse or the side streets in Niederdorf (old town) in the evening is a must. With kids I would visit also the Zoo: They have constructed a huge glass building with a rainforest of Madagascar inside. All animals can move around as they like and it's big fun spotting them. Depending on the weather an excursion to Uetliberg is recommendable, the hill above the city. It's reachable by train, the view is great and often it's sunny up there while there is fog downtown.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family in Zurich now what do we do?

I recommend the Hotel Helmhaus in the old city and liked it very much. I booked the hotel through the Zurich Tourism office at http://www.zuerich.com because they were having a special at a few hotels (Helmhaus was one) where the kids got a whole room to themselves for free as long as the parents were paying for their own room. They gave us a coupon to eat at a nearby Italian restuarant where the kids ate free and the food was really good.

It sounds all too good to be true, but it WAS true. You can look at the website

zuerich.com/hotel/…index.html

for details.

I just sent an email to the Zurich Tourism people via their website. Maybe it will work for you, too.

By the way there is a cinema close by where we were able to see the 2nd Harry Potter movie during its release...in English! That was a blast.