We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

Hello,

I may be spending one night alone in Zurich in June while I wait to join up with my parents; meeting them at the airport the next morning. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Sternen Oerlikon? It's about 4 miles from the airport, so looks convenient, and the price is right. But would I be too bored there? Should I go further into the city?

Thanks!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

I haven't stayed at Hotel Sternen, I've just seen it from the outside - it looks like an average 3 Star to me. Oerlikon is a quarter in the outskirts of Zurich. There are some shopping opportunities and restaurants. But I personnally would favour a hotel in the city. The train ride from the airport is about 10 min. for both - Oerlikon and the main railway station (if you take the fast train). And if you stay in downtown you could at least enjoy an evening stroll along Bahnhofstrasse or through old town. Try for instance hotel walhalla (www.walhalla-hotel.ch) which has reasonable prices. It offers probably about the same standart as Hotel Sternen and is located just next to the train station.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

Hi Madrona2,

I don't know how useful this information will be for you, but I want to pass it on anyway --

I've really enjoyed staying in the suburbs of Zurich, particularly in the village of Kuesnacht. The last time, I stayed at the four-star Seehotel Sonne (www.sonne.ch) and fell in love with it! You can get a room for about 100 chf less than in the city. The hotel has two restaurants, a bar, and a garden-bar, and it was hopping on the two nights I was there, The staff was young & flirty. It's just steps from the Kuesnacht train station -- just go downhill and under the underpass, and you are at the Sonne!

The village of Kuesnacht is small but complete, with two big grocery stores, a small park, a train station, pharmacies, restaurants, etc. Kuesnacht is about 15 minutes from Zurich main station and about 20 minutes by direct train from the airport.

Train schedules at www.rail.ch.

Hope this helps!

s

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

There is a decent hotel just next to the airport. It used to be a McDonalds Hotel with attached restaurant. Lately I think it has been purchased by the Park Inn chain. However, it was close to the airport, rooms were ultra modern with A/C, free airport shuttle, and the price was good. Having said that, I would also suggest NOT to stay in around the airport because in my opinion it is boring. Stay in the city and just train in the next morning.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Zurich, hotel near airport or city?

Thank you! Very helpful information. thanks