We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sechseläuten

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sechseläuten

Hello again all,

I can see that there is a public holiday in Zurich which is Sechseläuten is this correct? For that day are all businesses and shops usually closed, and is it a high season for hotels/pensiones?

Thank you!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sechseläuten

Only half day...and only downtown Zürich.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sechseläuten

Thanks Rister!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sechseläuten

Rister - things have changed and nearly all shops are now closed for the full day.

I don't know about the booking situation for the hotels, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find an accommodation as Sechseläuten is mainly celebrated by the locals. But go there and have a look - it's a unique tradition. There is a procession and then a puppee is burned on a huge fire. And for insiders: Afterwards there is the largest grill party of Switzerland as everybody grabs some of the charcoal and burns his sausage.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sechseläuten

Still no problem...Sihlcity is open + other outlets around Zürich...as Oller mentioned the odd shop will close for the whole day.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sechseläuten

after the parade the böögg (a symbol of winter in the form of a hay man) is burned.

according to how long it is before it "loses" his head, predictions are done for teh summer weather.

this time it lost in about 13 minutes, so it seems we are going to have a fantastic summer.

It is an official half day bank holiday but it tends to be more and more a whole day bank holiday.

The next one is in 19.04.2010.

It is really worth to go and watch it, we always do but on TV. we will wait for oller's invitation for the next one ;-)

tak

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sechseläuten

I like this discussion...Sechseläuten and Knabenschiessen are both half day (zürich City not Cantonal) Bank Holidays. Shops nowdays either take the whole day Knabenschiessen or Sechseläuten.

7. Re: Sechseläuten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, November 02, 2009