We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BROOKLYN
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

I was reading an article this morning about credit cards in Europe:

Over the past few years, many European countries have moved from the magnetic-stripe credit cards we're all familiar with to a new system called "chip and PIN," which for Americans might as well be called "chip and headache."

The problem for US-based travelers isn't technological, says Louise Hamilton of Visit Britain. It's social. While businesses that show the Visa or Mastercard logo all have the equipment to take US-style swipe cards, a massive retailer education campaign about chip cards in the UK has led some retailers to falsely conclude that they can't take swipe cards, or can't take signature cards that don't have PINs any more.

Anyone have this problem in Zürich?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

Also here in Switzerland more and more credit cards are issued with chip, for security reasons. Only some of them require also a pin - with the majority of cards you still have to sign even if they are equipped with a chip. The modern electronic card terminals are able to read the chip, while in some stores there are still the older terminals which can only handle magnetic-stripe cards. No problem as the chip cards always have a magnetic strip too. But there are no terminals wich DON'T accept swipe cards. And I'm sure that no salesman won't accept your magnetic-stripe card as this type of card is still widely spread.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

I would add that many USA state issued Drivers Licenses also have a magnetic-strip that contain personal info – i.e. your address, DOB and SS #.

Your US Passport also contains personal information. Scanning that information requires a much more sophisticated bar code reader and appropriate computer software.

In the US or overseas, when cashing a check or making a large purchase with a credit card, the merchant may ask to see a photo ID and Americans will typically pull out their Drivers License.

NEVER allow a merchant to scan your Drivers License or Passport.

You can de-magnetize [scramble the info on] your DL by simply running a simple refrigerator magnet over the strip. This might upset the people at the DMV or a police officer but prevents the information from being easily obtained by criminals.

Opfikon
Level Contributor
74 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

Halllo from Zurich

Both of the system are working here in Europe.

If you have a chip it might ask for the pin.

But it was no problem now.

I work in a hotel and we have no problems with US credit cards.

Have a great trip.

4. Re: Have they changed to the "chip and PIN" in Zurich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 21, 2009