We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in April?

YSJ
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in April?

A few of us girls will be spending 12 days in Switzerland at the end of April. What kind of weather should we expect?

And please advice on what kind of outfit to wear for this time of the year. Thanks.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in April?

Depends what you will be doing?

A decent outer coat which is rain-proof, and lots of not-too-thick clothes you can layer so that if its warm you can easily take a layer off, or layer up if cold.

Good solid comfortable shoes which are rain proof if you plan to walk much, even around towns (personally I'd say boots, but not everyone likes boots)

YSJ
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in April?

Thanks MidgeandMungo,

We haven't decide where we'll be visiting but from what I read on this forum, skiing season seems to be over in April so most prob we won't need heavy duty coats for the mountain.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in April?

Depends - in higher areas skiing will continue to mid-late April - we skied in Saas Fee last April from 7th -14th, and it was still snowing intermittently - the ski season there doesn't end until the last weekend of April.

If you are going anything above 1000 metres I would definately ensure you have a good rainproof coat and waterproof boots/shoes - even where it isn't snowy it may be wet and slushy or muddy. If you are just going to stay in the towns you will be OK with ordinary warmish street clothes, but still need to consider the rain at the thawing time of year, and unpredicaable temperature changes - summer-like one day, sleet and rain the next.

The reason I warn you is that I wouldn't like to be caught out and have to pay Swiss prices for a coat.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
260 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in April?

A local German saying here goes "der April macht was er will" - i.e. April does what it likes.

In other words ... like others said above ... you can expect both rain & shine ... anything is possible. Expect the worst and hope for the best!

YSJ
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in April?

Seems like waterproof shoes are very important. Wouldn't want to walk around in wet shoes everyday.

Thanks.

6. Re: What to wear in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 20, 2009