We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich for half a day

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
5 posts
Save Topic
Zurich for half a day

We lay over in Zurich for almost 7 hours - land at airport at 7 a.m. and take off again at 1:45 p.m. Is it possible to get into town, see a few things or take a bus tour and make it back by 12:30 p.m.? The other issue is that it will be GOod Firday and many things might be closed. Any advice? Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich for half a day

Hi Lisbonlady,

Yes, it's very easy to get to downtown Zürich; there's a train station in the basement of the airport. Trains depart about every 15 minutes and take about 15 minutes. You can get the exact schedule at the Swiss rail website,

www.rail.ch

Just use "Zurich airport" as your departure and "Zurich" as your destination.

Most folks enjoy strolling down the Bahnhofstrasse all the way to the lake; there are shops & cafes all along the way. You could return by following the river back to the train station.

Many more ideas and tours available at the city's tourist site,

www.zuerich.com

Have fun!

s

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich for half a day

Don't get me wrong I've spent plenty of money there myself, but unless it is shopping that you are into, don't waste your short visit to Zurich on the Bahnhofstrasse. I would opt for a walk thru the old town to the mouth of the lake, and maybe around to the other side of the the river and back. there's a beautiful little park on the hill opposite the old town across the river that gives you a great veiw of the city. Then I love to walk around to the base of lake where the park is and eat at a restaurant while watching the boats sail by and feed the swans. If you are into churches, don't miss the Grossmunster and the Fraumunster. Or at least one while your in the area. So basically get a map that lists the points of interest. Pick a few. Map out a loop from the train station. and head right there. You should have enough time get a good feel for the city.

The Happy Traveler

3. Re: Zurich for half a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 16, 2009