We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

My DH has a business trip to Zurich scheduled for late March over our children's Spring Break from school. We are considering joining him. I will have several days with the children without him and want to show them parts of Switzerland outside of Zurich via day trips. I am considering Lucerne and Rapperswil. Does anyone have a good website for Rapperswil so that I may see what is offered in that town? It is frequently recommended on this forum and sounds lovely.

I am also considering taking them skiing for one of the days. Which ski area is near Zurich, offers some sort of children's ski program for my 10 year old (or child care as she is not as fond of skiing as are her siblings)and is easy to maneuver within (rental equipment, lift tickets, etc.)? It does not have to be a big name resort but something fun not to far from Zurich would be great. My older two want very much to ski in Switzerland!

My children love castle ruins, experiencing local culture found in smaller towns and big cities, musuems (in small doses), hiking, boat rides, and my 14 year old daughter LOVES shopping! Any suggestions are appreciated! Moms

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Hoch-Ybrig is one of the closest (aprrox. 1.5 hours by public transport) decent skiing place from Zurich. You can find information here

www.hoch-ybrig.ch/index.cfm…

There is a child care service for your 10 year old after registration on the phone number +41 (0)55 414 2596.

A bit more international would be Engelberg (about 2 hours by public transport).

http://www.engelberg.ch/en/Winter/index.php

engelberg.ch/en/Winter/kidswinter/index.php

Cheers,

bowmore

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Hi momstravel,

Yes, I think Rapperswil will be perfect for your children -- there's a castle on a hill and a cosy little cafe-lined harbor they might enjoy. There's also a deer enclosure somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Anyway, you can get all the information at these sites

rapperswil-jona.ch/Attractions.1464.0.html…

(only a few bits in English)

and

www.zuerichsee.ch

Have fun!

s

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Rapperswil could be a good choice.The deer enclosure is right by the castle on the lake side and there are plenty of swans and ducks on the lake to be fed! They might also enjoy the board walk across the lake to Pfaffikon.

There is also the Knies Kinderzoo which reopens on 8 March 2008. www.knieskinderzoo.ch/de/index.php

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Sounds like the skiing is taken care of.

Lucerne has two wonderful museums that my teens enjoy:

http://www.gletschergarten.ch/

verkehrshaus.ch/en/…index.php

Lucerne also has a wonderful old town, and a beautiful lake. It's a very short trip by train from Zurich.You can get up into the mountains easily from there.

switzerlandholidays.com/rail%20journeys/luce…

As far as shopping for your teen, you can take care of that right there in Zurich!

www.bahnhofstrasse-zuerich.ch/index_e.html

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

Thank you all so much! These suggestions are just what I am looking for. A day of skiing, another couple of days of sight-seeing outside of Zurich and several days enjoying some interesting sights within Zurich, including shops, sounds perfect. Please keep the suggestions coming! Moms

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

About skiing. The alternative to Hoch-Ybrig and perhaps more easily accessible will be Flumserberg, which is about 75 km or 1:30 hr by train away. I have skied in both places and find Flumserberg to be more convenient to get to, more pleasant and nicer scenery especially for first timers with kids. I have posted a report on Dec.18th in this forum, if you are interested.

About shopping. Your teeny will love the shops in Niederdorfstrasse. Blindfold her in the Bahnhofstrasse. (well depends on her taste and your wallet)

7. Re: Zurich in March with my three children (age 14, 12 and 10)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 pm, September 16, 2009