We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

Birmingham-England
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

Hi

Sorry for the late notice, but I have just booked late flights to Zeriuch for 31st Dec to 2nd Jan. Will anything be open for my family (stores, eateries, attractions etc.) including our 4 year old daughter?

Thanks

Steve

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

There will be fireworks on the lake at midnight on the 31st.

Check out www.zuerich.com

You may like to take a boat trip on the Zurichsee to Rapperswill which is a popular excursion or take the train to Uetliberg, Zurich's mountain, which has a hotel and viewing tower.

Zurich also has a zoo which may ba an interesting diversion for your litl'un.

As for shops most will be closed on the 1st except for under the Zurich Hauptbahnhof where there are two floors of shops which are exempt from the trading laws.

Mentioned in this post
Uetliberg
Uetliberg
130 Reviews
Uetliberg, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Hauptbahnhof
Hauptbahnhof
1,513 Reviews
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

Mostlybytrain is right: All shops closed on Jan 1st with the exception of the mall underneath the railway station. On Jan 2nd many of the larger shops around Bahnhofstrasse will be open, but the smaller ones, for instance in old town, will still be mainly closed. Weather forecast for New Year is sunny in the mountains, foggy here in Zurich. So I suggest you take the train and do a day excursion for instance to Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus - everything above 1500 m.a.s. should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Bahnhofstrasse
Bahnhofstrasse
3,255 Reviews
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,893 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,846 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Birmingham-England
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. I was about to book the flights when I postedm and based on your comments I decided not to, and will now visit a little later in the year (when all is open).

Thanks again, Steve

4. Re: Zurich on 1st and 2nd of January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 16, 2009