We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

We have not booked our trip yet. We had planned of flying into Venice and out of Rome. However, we can fly into Zurich and take a train to Milan and then on to Venice. Has anyone traveled that way? Is it worth it? We get in Zurich early enough to arrive in Venice by 8:00 PM. We can stay in Zurich for the evening and catch a train the next morning to Venice or we can arrive in Zurich - get a train to Milan, stay there for the evening and then at our leisure, we can get a train in to Venice. This trip will be for next April 29 and we are using our mileage, so will be booking this on June 2nd. When giving your advice, if possible, could you please take into consideration the time of year we will be there. I appreciate any and all help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

JanM, Hi, Zurich is a nice city but it is primarily a business center so I don't know that it is worth flying there unless you can't get tickets to Milan or Rome or have some special reason. Geneva would be better for travel to Milan or Venice.

There are direct trains from Geneva to Venice - check the sbb.ch website (Swiss rail). Get a rail card before you leave if you are thinking of taking long treks on the train. Also, check for rail strikes in Italy - the one in Feb. didn't put a stop to all trains but sort of gummed up the system. I'd suggest you think about Geneva as an alternate.

Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Which train route is the more scenic one? Geneva to Venice or Zurich to Milan/Venice. We aren't basing our trip on the Swiss landing. We would only do this if the beauty of the train ride overides us flying in directly to Venice. If we spent the night in Zurich, it is because we just want to get a taste of Switzerland. Our main goal is the two weeks we are spending in Italy. Also the Geneva to Venice train trip is in the minimum a 1-1/2 hour longer and on most trains it is 4-5 hours longer. Just want to get to Venice and thought this might be a nice scenic detour. Also, booking with mileage, we are stuck with American Airlines or their partners, so we are limited in where we can land. They do have one flight to Geneva.

Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Or one other thought, instead of Milan as a potential overnight, is there a cute small Swiss village that we could stay at overnight on the way to Milan?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Don't stay in Z��rich, go to Lucerne. It's not small or quaint, but very beautiful and on the lake. Or stay in Brunnen, which is smaller and has a beautiful scenic view. I'm not sure of your budget, but the Waldst��tterhof is a beautiful hotel right on the lake in Brunnen. Down in the Tessin area, you could go to Ascona, which is small and quaint, but with a more Italian/Riviera flair than typical Swiss. Just some ideas to think about. Use sbb.ch for railtimes. Push the grey "en" button on top for English.

Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Olygirl, if we went into Geneva and then stayed in St. Moritz or Sion, would that be a nice trip? Which is better? Luzern, St. Moritz or Sion?

Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

I'm sorry, not St. Moritz but Montreux?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

I would say stay overnight in either Zurich or Luzern. The journey down the St Gotthard route is scenic at any time and I think worth it, but I would advise you to reserve a seat (not possible until 2-3 months beforehand).

Zurich has a direct service, from Luzern you need to change at Arth-Goldau. Another option would to stay overnight in Lugano in southern Switzerland, but a change in Milan would be necessary.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

If you're thinking of a scenic route through mountains, then go to Zurich and stay, as Olygirl says, nearby and take the train from there. The most scenic would be to go to Brig and take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz and then on to Venice but I don't think there are direct trains from St. Moritz - you'd have to change.

Orlando
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Thanks for the advice. My best friend and I are doing this trip together. We have been friends for over 30 years. I'm married and live away from her and on top of it, she is my perfect travel mate. We love to do exactly the same thing. Hubby and I are about 80-20. I've been to Italy before and absolutly loved it but would love to see a bit of the Alps. One other thing we could do is stay the night in Como. I am definitely going to look at those places recommend by Olygirl. I appreciate all the advice I can get.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Advice Train from Zurich to Venice

Hi JanM. Montreux is closer to Geneva than Sion and is on a lake. I really like the castle in Montreux. Sion is in the valley of Wallis, also very nice, but I would recommend Montreux. Lots of luck planning!