We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plan my trip from Switzerland to Italy!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
plan my trip from Switzerland to Italy!

We get to Zurich on Dec. 22 and end in Murano, Italy from Dec. 30 to Jan 2.

What should we do in between???

I was thinking possibly luzern, murren, then on to murano. Is that a good plan? Other suggestions?

Also, are things absolutely dead on Christmas? Should we be in a big city or small cozy town on Christmas? Is there transportation operating on Christmas?

Any info or recommendations is much appreciated!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plan my trip from Switzerland to Italy!

Hi, you are very late for getting reservations somewhere like Murren and probably can't get rooms for less than a week's stay anyway. I would suggest you stay in Zurich as the city has wonderful Christmas activities and make day trips to other places. After Christmas, you might consider moving to Brig and making a day trip from there to Zermatt (no rooms and certainly none for less than a 5-7 day minimum stay). The train to Venice and, therefore, Murano, goes from Brig at about 11 every morning. There are some sights around Brig as well - see the Brig forum or just post a search on the Switzerland forum for Brig. You might find rooms in Lucern as well but the choice stuff is surely gone - choice meaning excellent hotel under several hundred dollars per night! From Zuirich you can do a day trip to Bern and to Lake Constance for instance.

Hope this helps.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: plan my trip from Switzerland to Italy!

<Also, are things absolutely dead on Christmas?> No. Some restaurants and museums are closed. But it depends much where you are staying. Tourist places and specially ski resorts are definitely not dead on Christmas.

<Is there transportation operating on Christmas?> Yes, it's considered as a sunday. see www.sbb.ch/en

I would try if you get something in Lucerne. It's closer to cable cars (important in case of fog ;-) ) and other mountain attractions. But I agree Zurch is a good backup option.

Yes Brig is a great base to visit the surrounding moutain places (Bettmeralp, Eggishorn, Zermatt, etc). The trip from Brig to Venice is not very long.

It is possible to get an accomondation in the Berner Oberland.

Maybe you have luck and you can get a hotel in the Jungfrau region (Murren, Gimmelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald) I would just try. Or you can stay in Interlaken. It's not a mountain village, but a nice town, with great transport links, and many hotels available at this time.

I can't say you which is better Brig or the Berner Oberland, they're both great. The trip to Venice is about 2 hours shorter from Brig than from the Berner Oberland.

3. Re: plan my trip from Switzerland to Italy!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 13, 2009