We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

We are flying to Zurich after christmas and want to rent-a-car to drive to Lucerne next day and then Interlaken, coming back to Zurich airport after 4 days and taking a flight back. The convenient thing was taking a hire car straight from the airport and dropping ti back there before the flight BUT:

my flight gets to zurich airport by 10:25 p.m. and rent-a-car at airport closes at 11:30 p.m. - the big risk is that if I book an airport rental and flight is delayed im stuck, beccause cancellation penalties will APPLY and won't get a car.

So what should I do - as I see it, 3 solutions:

1) Stay in a hotle in downtown, Get a car next day from Zurich centre - disadvantage is that will have to take a taxi from airport to hotel when I arrive and also when I come to drop the car back on my last day will have to take a taxi from rent a car store to the airport - additional hassle.

2)Come back to the airport next day by taxi/train and rent a car from there so the return drop-off is easier! - this depends on whether airport is on the way to interlaken etc.

3)Stay in a hotel next to the airport - wake up next morning, go by shuttle see zurich and come back to the aiport, rent a car and go to lucerne from there

What do people suggest in terms of cost and practicality.

thanks so much

D

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
959 reviews
from $164.64*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
294 reviews
from $241.69*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
986 reviews
from $241.69*
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

Hi dawood83,

First, you don't need to take a taxi between Zurich city and the airport. There is a train station in the basement of the airport with trains that depart for Zurich about every 15 minutes; it takes about 15 minutes for the trip and costs about 5 chf. A taxi will cost you about 50 chf.

Second, I don't think that having a rental car will be especially useful for your trip -- your first destination is a city with all the driving hassles that a city entails, and your second destination is a place that makes a car redundant (all the mountain peaks and the most charming villages do not even allow cars).

In any case, you could very easily take the train to Luzern upon landing; there are direct (0 changes) trains that take about an hour leaving right from the basement of the airport. If you insist on having that auto, you can pick it up as you leave Luzern.

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

>What do people suggest in terms of cost and practicality.

I think this was mentioned in a discussion before - in terms of cost and practicality, a rental car is rather counterindicated for your itinerary.

Zürich is connected to the airport by about 5-6 trains per hour. The trains are not shuttle trains between the city and airport, but go on in both direction to serve most of the country with direct connections.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

Sorry, cut off...

in your case - just as Swandav suggested - it would be the simplest to take a train from the airport to Lucerne and not to hassle arpund with a car.

But I think your booking is fixed, isn´t it?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

Hi, you can get all the train schedules in English at

www.sbb.ch/en

The above posts are absolutely correct. There's even an additional reason to wait to rent a car if you truly believe you need one and that is the extra tax if you pick up the car at the airport. You can return it to the airport without the tax but you have to pick it up elsewhere. I would suggest you look at taking the short train ride into Zurich, remaining overnight and picking up a rental car first thing in the morning. If you know the location of the car rental office you would use, ask for a recommendation for a hotel nearby.

You are likely, though, to find a car more of a hassle than helpful. Parking is expensive and, as mentioned above, you can't even use a car for many things so you'll just pay a lot to park it. Swiss public transportation is absolutely fabulous and even I don't rent cars there despite my addiction to having my own car at my disposal - it's an American thing!

A good hotel just 5 min. from the airport by train with a 24 hour desk is the Swissotel. At

asiarooms.com

you can get a really good rate. The hotel is across the street from the Oerlikon train station so it's a very easy trip. I know there is a car rental office not very far away that is used by Europcar and Auto Europe. I think it's actually an Avis office. Additionally, it's easy from there to get on the autobahn to get out of town.

Don't forget as well that the trains run even in lousy weather while you may feel very uncomfortable driving in a bad snow storm!

Hope this helps.

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

"my flight gets to zurich airport by 10:25 p.m. and rent-a-car at airport closes at 11:30 p.m. - the big risk is that if I book an airport rental and flight is delayed im stuck, beccause cancellation penalties will APPLY and won't get a car."

normally a serious rent-a-car company is waiting for you if you indicate them the filght number beforehand.

cheers,

bowmore

6. Re: Zurich - Rent a car - taxis urgent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, September 12, 2009