We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas in zurich

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
christmas in zurich

I am trying to plan a trip to Switzerland over Christmas. most of the good flights are into zurich. I read that the train system is awesome- can you do enough day trips around the country by train to see the country? Is it a day trip to St. Moritz? Any other suggestions? thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas in zurich

I suppose you could go to St. Moritz and back in a day but I wouldn't. It's a 3 1/2 hour journey each way. Besides, there are much more attractive places in Switerland than St. Moritz! It really isn't what you think of when you think about Switzerland but is instead mostly modern and concrete. How long are you planning on staying? If it's just for a few days, you can easily do several day trips from Zurich. You would probably find it difficult to get rooms in the smaller towns over Christmas now but larger places such as Lucern - an hour from Zurich by train but with many things to do so a couple of days there would be good - should still have rooms available. Don't waste time getting rooms booked if you wish to leave Zurich for a coupld of nights. In Zurich, you may well find great rates particularly for the hotels that cater more to business travelers such as the Swissotel. Check out kayak.com for rooms in either Lucern or Zurich.

I'd suggest you read something like Rick Steves' travel guide for Switzerland and then go on line and check out train schedules in English at

www.sbb.ch/en

just put in Zurich and wherever you might like to go and choose a date a few days away if not the dates you will be in Zurich. It's a very easy site to use. Zurich is wonderful at Christmas as well so plan on some time there.

Hope this helps.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas in zurich

I agree with Kileysmom: Stay either in Zurich or Lucerne and do daytrips from there. You have to know that all shops and most museums are closed on Dec 25th and 26th. On these days an excursion to the mountains would be the perfect idea if the weather is good. You could for instance go up to Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus - both a little bit more than an hour from Zurich and even closer from Lucerne.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas in zurich

Hi obsessivetraveler,

HI, YES yes yes, the Swiss train system is positively almost-perfect! You can plan and complete a lot of travel using the great rail system that brings all the towns and villages to you.

However, I don't think that Zurich will be an ideal base for your day-trips. I usually limit my day-trips to two hours in each direction -- or else my memories of the destination will be overwhelmed with my memories of that moving carriage. So, I always find a spot that's within two hours of the places I want to see.

Some alternate bases you might want to consdier are --

Thun, a city on Lake Thun. It's a spectacular setting at the foot of both mountains and lakes; the historic town has a castle and preserved arcaded streets in its interior. It's also nicely situated to see both the peaks of the Berner Oberland region as well as the Lake Geneva region, so you can really see a lot from here.

Bern, another historical center, is also nicely located to see both the BO and the Lake Geneva region. No lake here, but more immersion into Swiss history and Swiss life.

Scuol, in the eastern part of the country. I mention it because you specifically named St. Moritz. St. Moritz itself is probably sold out by now anyway, but you could probably find a room in this larger town. From Scuol, you can visit the entire Engadin Valley.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to get a hotel room in one of the resorts of the high Alps -- they sell out quickly. But if you pick one of these spots, you should be able to see something of the mountains and the lifestyle around this period.

There is a train staiton in the basement of the Zurich airport, and you can research the train schedules and fares at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Don't forget to stop by a grocer or a deli to pick up a picnic for your train trip! I always get fresh bread, Swiss cheese, yogurt, chocolate, and wine -- it's my welcome back to Switzerland!

Anyway, good luck!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas in zurich

Sorry -- meant to say "around these areas," not "around this period." Thinking literature and typing Switzerland -- doesn't work!

s

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas in zurich

I really appreciate all the help! Great advice! I am going to try and get my airfare booked today! I kind of stumbled on the idea of Switzerland while looking for a place to spend the holidays. New Year's Eve is my anniversary, so we always look for an awesome spot to celebrate! I am now thinking that it would be good to fly into Zurich, spend a day or two, travel to Lucerne, spend a day or two, and investigate some of the other little towns mentioned and end up back in Zurich for new years eve. I read a post that said it's a fun place for new years.

6. Re: christmas in zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 12, 2009