We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights in Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 Nights in Zurich

Hello,

We are traveling to Zurich and will spend 2 nights and then head to Paris. I have no plans on what I should see so I am looking for suggestions.

Also, we have had good luck in other countries with a local guide. Does anyone have a recommendation for a personal guide?

Thank you for you input :-)

Jen

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Hi, Do you have two full days as well as two nights? Zurich is a small city and the primary area of interest to tourists is very small - maybe a couple of square miles at most. The Altstadt (Old Town) is fun for at least half a day - lots of unique boutiques and shops as well as good restaurants. A guide can't do much for you in the Old Town unless you prefer more about the history of the buildings. The two churches are worth a visit - the Fraumunster and the Grossmunster. You can reach both in ten minutes of walking from the main rail station (Hauptbahnhof or HB on train schedules).

There are several museums, etc. I would suggest you take a look at the Zurich pages of Rick Steves' book on Switzerland and at Fodor's online guide. Also take a look at these sites where you will get lots of information as well as information on guides tours.

http://www.zuerich.com/en/welcome.cfm

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home

I haven't used their services for getting information by mail but many here on TA say they got terrific stuff! I know there are some really nice parks, etc. a little bit further from the center if that interests you.

Hope this helps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Thanks for your reply Kileysmom. I am going to look at the links you suggested as soon as I finish typing! i really appreciate the input.

We are going to be in Zurich for 2 full days, so that is why I was hoping to find a guide to help us explore the surrounding areas and towns. I have read a bit about "Top of Europe" mountain trip. Something unusual is always fun too. Have you spent much time there? What were your hi-lights?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

The "top of Europe" trip up the Jungfraujoch is too far for a daytrip from Zurich---3.5 to 4 hours just to get to Kleine Scheidegg, where you catch the train to the top (which takes almost another hour).

Thre are mountaintop trips much closer to Zurich. Mt. Titlis offers a good view of lots of rock and ice. Catch the "Rotair" revolving cable car in Engleberg, 2 hours from Zurich by train. Or even closer would be Mt. Pilatus, which you can ascend from near Luzern by either cogwheel train or cablecar.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Thanks Enzian! that is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. i will look into both of your suggestions.

Would you be willing to recommend a nice hotel with a good location?

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Do you have a price range? In the "moderate" category (for Zurich, which is pricy), we like Hotel Adler in the Altstadt (oldtown) area---close to the lake and the river, as well as the main train station. Little pedestrian-only alleys---our balcony overlooked a little cobblestone square. The area can be noisy on weekends, however--some late-night revelry around there.

My son liked Hotel Altstadt in the same area.

If you have Starwood points and want to use them for Zurich, there is a Sheraton right close to the lake. The location looks nice, although I haven't been inside the hotel. We prefer the smaller, locally-owned places like the Adler.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Hi, there are lots of nice hotels - I like the Wellenberg in the old town. You can sometimes get a good rate at booking sites like asiarooms.com and octopus.com They have a typically Swiss breakfast and a good restaurant if you want to stay in to eat. The staff are all very helpful and they had my room ready for an early check-in when I arrived on a morning flight. I also like the Swissotel which is a large, what I call "American-style" hotel just a 5 minute train ride from the center of the city. It has a spa, top floor pool with a view to die for, great breakfasts and good restaurants. It's just across the street from the Oerlikon train station where you can catch trains to the main station, the airport, etc. You can catch the train to Bern from Oerlikon where you would change for the TGV (high speed) train to Paris. Best price right now for the Swissotel is on asiarooms.com

I love the Altstadt and generally walking around in Zurich. I hope to go to the zoo on my next trip ( a little reconaissance for a trip in the near future when I will have my grandson with me). I lived in Europe for many years so I usually have a lengthy shopping list to take up a lot of my time! Customs love seeing coffee and sauces, etc. Oh, well.....

Hope this helps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Thank you so much for the recommendations for hotels. I looked at both and I think we are looking to stay in something a little more upscale. Do you know anything about Romantik Seehotel Sonne - Kusnacht? It looked fairly modern, but again I am not sure about location.

I like the idea of the hotels you recommend that are in Old Town with pedestrian traffic only- are there any hotels in that area that have been updated/remodeled?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

If you don't mind the price, check out the Widder. It's listed here on TA.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

another more upscale hotel to consider would be Zum Storchen, which has a wonderful location on the river.

Or for something quite modern, look at Bar Hotel Seehof, which is down by the lake.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Nights in Zurich

Hotel Sonne in Kuesnacht is really nice if you want to stay outside of the citycenter. Located directly on the lake, with an excellent (expensive) restaurant. I wouldn't call it modern as the buildings are quite old, but it offers all modern amenities you need.

If you are looking specifically for a modern hotel I can recommend Hotel Greulich (a designer 4star hotel) or the Hyatt (5 star).

I second that you don't need a personal guide. Save the money and do the tours on yourself! Public transport is easy to use and reliable. Have a look for the schedule on www.rail.ch