We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 14 month old

Dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with 14 month old

Hello,

I am traveling in Swiss; st.moritz, interlaken, lucerne with a 14 month old baby. I am planning to do the following things.

glacier exp (7hr trip)

jungfra in Interlaken

Lake Lucerne boat rides etc.

I am worried if I could do all of this with my baby. Is it recommended? Can I take him up the jungfra? I see posting on some forums here that it's not recommended etc. Can anyone please post their experieces and provide some pointers? Thanks in advance

RDG

Zurich
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 14 month old

Hi,

I definately would not do all of what you have planned with a 14 mo old! Especially the glacier and the Jungfraujoch, the altitude and temperatures would worry me (especially if you are from Dallas).

Have you travelled alot with the child? Will you have help? Do you speak Swiss-German? What time of the year do you plan on coming?

Unless the conditions are optimal, you might re-think this trip.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 14 month old

<I am worried if I could do all of this with my baby. Is it recommended? Can I take him up the jungfra?> Recently there haven been different similar post about this subject. for example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188081-i654-k1423…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188081-i654-k1405…

According to the information on the Jungfraujoch website there is no problem, if you don't stay overnight. jungfraubahn.ch/en/…558_read-6582

I tried to find some more valuable information, but apart of this link I coudn't find anything I would trust.

I don't think there is a problem about freezing temperatures, you're not even forced to go outside! If you go, bring some very warm clothes for you baby and don't stay too much time outside.

I think it should be possible to go, but I don't know if I would do it with such a small child. (And I can't give any guarantees) I hope somebody can tell about own experiences. It's not a cable car, so you are going up very slowly. The 3400 meters is high, everybody feels it at least a little bit, but it's just for a few hours (a big diffrence to longer stays).

You could also write to the Jungfrau Railways (info@jungfrau.ch)

For the other two trips: The glacier express is very long, but I think it should be ok if you bring something to entertain him. I don't see a problem about doing boat rides.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 14 month old

We took our son up Jungfrau at 15 months, but he really hated it, so we could only stay a very short time. We had a Jungfrau pass, so only paid half fare for the last part of the trip, it would really have been a waste of money otherwise. He really enjoyed the trip to the Schilthorn though, the views here are all the way up and down the trip, unlike Jungfrau which is a great long tunnel ride. Many families need to come back down quickly from Jungfrau as the kids either don't like the feeling or are unwell.

We've done Glacier Express with our kids as well, but this year when the youngest was 11. It's really not going to be much fun for a small child, but if you are staying in both St Moritz and Interlaken it's probably worth travelling on. Our kids didn't rate Glacier Express at all, it didn't make their top 5 rail trips.

Zurich
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 14 month old

Re: Jungfraujoch: the view is magnificient and the installation is very interesting to visit- you will want to go outside. One thing, one doesn't stay there and although the train going up is very slow, the altitude does hit you. It is an amazing experience but tiring. Several under 2's were crying on the way down and my daughter who is 11 fell asleep from exhaustion. I visited it on July 28, 2007 while part of a week long holiday in Grindelwald.

5. Re: Traveling with 14 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 08, 2009