We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs clearance

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Customs clearance

If Im flying from Russia into Zurich then connecting into Geneva, do I only have to clear customs in Zurich. I have booked a train to Montreux from Geneva and need to know if one hour is enough time

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,078 Reviews
from $168.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,097 Reviews
from $258.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
389 Reviews
from $258.00*
5 replies to this topic
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs clearance

What do you mean by ‘booked’? Unless you have a train specific Supersaver ticket then you can take any train with a standard ticket so you do not have to look at the clock.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs clearance

Hi

I bought a ticket online from Trainline a Regional Express ticket with a time slot of 8.00pm

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,668 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs clearance

When you land in Zürich you will go through Immigration as you are entering Schengen at Zürich. When you land in Geneva you have to get your bags and then go through Customs - which normally means just walking through the channel and out of the Customs Hall. Then you have to walk to the station which takes about 3 mins and find the platform for Montreux and go down there.

Normally speaking at GVA airport I can safely be on the platform waiting for me train with my baggage 30-40mins after I land. What time is your flight scheduled to land?

In future don't ever buy "timed" tickets when flying in... if you miss the train because your plane is late you have to buy a new ticket. For Montreux that means paying about 30frs so it isn't the end of the world!

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs clearance

Hi

Thank you so much for your response. I will be arriving at 6.50pm. I thought it best to get tickets first as it was an evening arrival. I really should have checked this forum first. Will definitely use TripAdvisor for future travels.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs clearance

Why the detour via Geneva? You would probably have been in Montreux a lot quicker by just taking a train from Zurich to Montreux.

Regarding your ticket:

"I bought a ticket online from Trainline a Regional Express ticket with a time slot of 8.00pm"

No, that is probably not what you bought. When you buy a ticket for a Swiss train on Trainline they just give you a normal. I believe they use the DB system to issue it. Have a look at your ticket.

It is true that buying a train ticket starts with looking up a schedule, but that does not mean that the ticket is limited to the train you picked at that time. Your ticket is thus going to be valid all day, on any train from Geneva to Montreux. So just take the first one that you can reach after your arrival. Use www.sbb.ch to look up the schedules. You will see that you have plenty of trains to choose from.

Swiss trains are mass transit. Taking the train from Geneva to Montreux is like taking a train from Perth to Freemantle. A trivial trip that thousands to every day, without advance planning.

Reply to: Customs clearance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted