We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

Any suggestions of hotels when you are 2 adults and 2 kids?

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

Never stayed there myself, but the Hotel Leoneck offers family rooms. Maybe worth to check out.

Cheers,

bowmore

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

Thank you! I shall look them up and see what they have.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

During the Summer of 2004 several Zurich hotels were participating in a special deal to for families where the kids were "given" their own private room free of charge. Yes, it sounded too good to be true, but indeed it was true. We chose the Hotel Helmhaus, and my wife and I stayed in a large room while our two kids (10 and 14) stayed in a smaller room next door - totally free of charge.

We chose Hotel Helmhaus because it was centrally located right at the edge of the old city, very squeeky clean rooms, had airconditiong and internet access, tram stopped ~20 steps from the front door. It was also located right beside the huge cathedral with towering twin spires. No matter where you were in the city you could look for the cathedral and know exactly where your hotel was located. They also had a good breakfast and very nice staff. There is also a cinema close by that shows current release movies in their original language. My son was thrilled when we went to see the new Harry Potter movie in ENGLISH! There were subtitles in a different language. Cool thing to do, but expensive.

I found out about the free room deal by looking at the Zurich Tourism website:

http://www.zuerich.com/

Good Luck finding a room

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

That is a amazing tip--thank you so much! I will give it a try. Are you aware of any other cities in Switzerland or Germany that offer this?

Thanks again for your help.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

No, I never found it anywhere else. In fact, Switzerland seems to highly value kids and family. I communicated with the Zurich Tourism office via the contact link on the website. Send them email and ask.

Also, I neglected to include another important detail. The program was for kids to sleep AND EAT for free. At Hotel Helmhaus, they gave us a coupon to a restaurant just around the corner where the kids ate FREE! It was an Italian Restaurant and I just figured that it would be mediocre...but again I was suprised to find VERY good food. With the coupon the kids meals were indeed free. And they were not restricted to a Special Kids menu. All in all, it was an amazing deal.

One more thing be aware that there is an annual huge street festival/parade (dancing in the streets, I believe) where the city is packed wall to wall with people. If you like to dance in the streets then go for it, otherwise you might want to visit at a different time.

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

I did try calling a couple of "chain" hotels that they had listed in the promotion (using the toll fee numbers) but they were not aware of the promotion. I actually then called the hotels directly, and they said they were sold out on this deal.

I just sent an email to zurich tourism, asking them to give me hotel names with availability for our dates. They have a form which lets you book it online, but you need to give a visa card online, and I am unsure of what their cancellation penalty is.

Did you book this online with Hotel Helmaus, or did you call the hotel directly? Thanks.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

Booked it through Zurich Tourism, but I booked it by emailing back and forth to their department directly, I did not type in my CC into their website. But it sounds like the program is still going on. I hope it works out for you and your family.

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable zurich hotels for family of 4

Appreciate all the info. It has been very helpful! I'll contact Zurich Tourism and deal with them directly.