We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint place to stay near Zurich?

San Jose
3 posts
Save Topic
Quaint place to stay near Zurich?

We will be on our honeymoon in the very beginning of October, taking the train into Zurich (where our flight will leave from 3 days later) and we are budget conscious but would like to know of great areas in the vicinity of Zurich. We would love to explore the main town and stay one night, but we would love something a little more secluded or quaint for the remaining two nights. In the range of 100 euros a night would be great but I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint place to stay near Zurich?

You might like to stay in Rapperswil - a quaint small town located at the other end of lake of Zurich. You can reach it from Zurich by train or boat. It's a good base also for daytrips for instance to the mountains of Central Switzerland (like Rigi) or to St. Gallen with its monastery. There is a good range of hotels and I'm sure you will find one which fits your budget. Check www.rapperswil.ch

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint place to stay near Zurich?

Hi stigmatized4tc,

I agree with oller that Rapperswil would be a great choice -- it's a lovely lakeside town with a nice castle on a hill, a cafe-lined harbor, and a nice old town. It's about, what, 30 or 40 minutes to Zurich?

About your budget -- I wonder if you meant to type 100 Swiss francs (chf) or 100 Euro? 100 Euro is about 160 chf. If you meant 100 chf, you may have trouble finding something in that range.

Anyway, I've stayed at the Hotel Hirschen am See in the town of Obermeilen (www.hirschen-meilen.ch). It's a lovely, small place about 20 or 30 minutes from Zurich. It's a bit difficult to get to though -- you take the train to Meilen, then you can either walk for about 15 minutes or take a bus for two stops. Doubles here facing the lake are 160 chf.

Another perfect little spot is the Hotel Alpenblick (www.landhotelalpenblick.com) nestled in the countryside in the village of Uetikon am See. The hotel sits on top of a hill overlooking the lake down below. The hotel also has a fabulous restaurant. To get there, you take the train to either Meilen or Uetikon, then a taxi or walk to the hotel. There is a bus, but it stops a block or two away. Rates for a double are 110-300 chf.

Good luck!

s

3. Re: Quaint place to stay near Zurich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 30, 2009