We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

England
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

Travelling by rail from Saas Fee to Geneva Airport for an evening flight, we plan to stop for a couple of hours at either Montreux or Lausanne. Can anyone please suggest which is likely to be the best use of our time, including how close the rail station is to the lake, any "old town" areas etc. The choice of Montreux forum for this post was not a preference, just a 50/50 chance.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

Why not stop in Vevey? Sounds like you won't have time to see the château de Chillon anyway, which is Montreux's top attraction. Vevey has a lovely old town, very easy to get to from the station, a beautiful lake front and lots of nice places to eat both in the old town area and along the Place du Marché.

You might think about using the "Check in at the station" service of the SBB to send your bags from Saas Fee to the airport and then you can just travel with carry ons. IF your airline accepts the service you can even get your boarding pass printed at the Saas Fee poste office. If you get the bags to them by 0900 the day you fly the luggage will either be given right to your airline OR if they won't accept this, waiting for you at the airport station luggage office when you get there. There are lockers on platform 1 at the Vevey station which is where your train from Visp will come in and the train to the airport leaves from.

Don't go to Lausanne. Getting about Lausanne takes a lot of time and the port, at Ouchy, is quite a way from the station. You need to take a bus or the Métro to get down there. Similarly the old town of Lausanne is up around the cathedral and you would need to take the Métro to Ripponne to go there. Vevey's is only a 5 min walk from the station. Leave the station, cross the road and head to the left. Turn down the second road to your right which will bring you to the Place du Marché. There you are on the lakefront AND the old town starts right there and runs for a long way towards la Tour de Peilz. It is really beautiful!

If you go to Montreux the lake front is marginally nearer the station but only by a 100m or so. And Montreux's old part is tiny. Not so much to see in a short time as there is in Vevey.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

Hi ! I second Hambagahle's choice of Vevey. I visited Vevey in May 2014 on a Sunday afternoon and believe you me, the visit was worth it. The atmosphere on the lakefront was electric and we had a gala fun time. Fortuantely, a Naval parade was also scheduled for that afternoon, and that added to the cheerful atmoshpere there.

My brother who has stayed for close to two years in Vevey had prodded me into visiting this small town.

England
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

Thanks both of you for the advice. I had seen Vevey mentioned in a brochure and had checked to see if the train schedules were OK, which they are, so your recommendations have made our minds up that Vevey is the place to stop. We had already purchased the luggage transfer, but as we are travelling with BA rather than Swiss, we have to collect the luggage at the airport and check in there.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

That's great. When you arrive at the airport you will come in on platform 3. Take the escalator up. The Luggage Office is in front of you on the left.

Have a wonderful time!!

England
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

I thought I'd just give an update and say that we did stop in Vevey for a couple of hours on our way home from Saas Fee to Geneva Airport. We enjoyed strolling along the very pleasant lakeside promenade, seeing the paddle steamer coming in from Montreux, walking through the mainly pedestrianised old town and eating an al fresco lunch from the boulangerie, down by the lake. If we'd had more time there was a funicular railway up a hill behind the town and a clutch of interesting sounding museums.

One cautionary word of advice - though we had run a personal timetable from the web that assured us that the train from Visp did stop at Montreux and Vevay, there was no indication of this either at the station on the printed timetables, or the electronic boards, or even on the train at first. It was only when the train got much closer to Vevey that it appeared on the train's destination boards in the carriages.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

The latter is a very good point! The CFF tends to "forget" the smaller stops and focus on the larger ones. My town, Martigny, is usually not on the boards on the platforms. I suppose they cannot include all the stops - but Montreux is a somewhat important junction. (Connections to the Goldenpass line). Good thing to bear in mind. Thank you!

7. Re: Montreux or Lausanne for a two hour stopover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 20, 2015