We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

Worcester
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

We have now booked for 3 nights in Montreux in April. We are flying into Geneva. Would appreciate a bit of advice of the best options for getting to Montreux from the airport. Thanks

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

Easy peasy. You take the train from Geneva airport to Montreux.

As you exit customs, turn left and walk the length of the terminal (takes about 2 minutes). Pass through the revolving glass doors into the airport station and shopping centre. There are ticket machines or a ticket office where they speak many languages. If you plan to do lots of travelling within Switzerland, you may wish to consider buying a pass or a discount card. The ticket office can advise. Within Montreux you will get a free Riviera card, which gives you free local buses and discounts on museums and some tourist trains in the area.

Once you have bought your ticket and checked which platform, you can head down to the platforms by escalator or lift. Unless you are travelling by first class, make sure you don't sit in a carriage with a 1 on the side.

If you have time to kill before your train, there is a supermarket at the far end of the station shopping centre. It's fine to picnic on the train.

It's easy to get a seat as this is the start of the line. If you can sit on the right facing forward, you will have the best views of the lake as you go.

Plan timings and get platform numbers in advance on www.sbb.ch/en Trains are punctual. Prepare to get off a few minutes before your expected arrival time. They will make an announcement in English.

Worcester
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

Thanks for the reply. We are staying at the Golf Hotel I believe it's called? So you know the name of the stop we'd have to get off at?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

The train will stop at Montreux station. I'm not familiar with your hotel, but if it's in Montreux then that's where you get off.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

How long should one allow to go thru customs at the airport before boarding the train to Montreux?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

Going through customs generally takes about 10 seconds - it's rare that you will be stopped.

If you're coming from outside the Schengen area, there may be lines at immigration, but they're unlikely to exceed 10 minutes.

I would suggest using the ticket machines to buy train tickets, particularly if there's a line at the ticket office. They're relatively simple to use and a ticket to Montreux should be easy to find. The machines can be made to work in English. Note, there are a couple of train ticket machines in the luggage collection hall, next to the machines giving out transportation tickets for Geneva, just before customs.

If you're coming from within Schengen, without luggage, you can be on the station platform in about 10 minutes from landing. Add whatever is necessary to those 10 minutes (immigration, luggage, train ticket purchase, etc.)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,178 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

I think 10 mins plane to station is overly optimistic even with no luggage. I can do it in 20mins... and I tend to walk fast.

The Golf Hotel René Capt is on the lakefront in Montreux a 15-20mins walk from the station. If you don't have much luggage this is easy. Just take the escalators down from the platform and the next ones down to the lakefront road. Turn left. Walk along the road, cross over, and walk along the lakefront promenade. the Golf hotel is then on your left. If you stay on the lakefront road (called now I think "avenue Claude Nobs") the hotel will be on the right. It is clearly marked. With a couple of suitcases I would take a taxi from the front of the station. That should take you all of 4 mins to get to the hotel.

BTW make sure you get a lakefront room. If not the rooms face the railway lines and even though the pssenger trains are reasonably quiet looking at a railway line is not the best thing in the world and the freight trains are quite noisy!

7. Re: Getting from Geneva Airport to Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 06, 2015