We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Pass Confusion!

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Golden Pass Confusion!

I'm wanting to go from Montreux to Lucerne via the Golden Pass route. I'm slightly confused on timetables. I went to the Golden Pass website and I see a timetable, but then when I go to buy tickets, it doesn't start as early as I want. I need to be in Lucerene by 3ish to take a train to Florence. Any help appreciated!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

Yes I see what you mean. I just checked it out too.

As I see it you will not be able to take the Golden Pass Express train. to get you there in time for 3pm

Years ago they used to have a train go at 8.40am from Montreux and get you to Lucerne at 2.05pm

Looks like the times have changed.

You can however still do the same route as this train but not on this particular train.

look on sbb.ch and check out how to get there.

Put in a search for Montreux via Zweisimmen to Interlaken Os

Interlaken Ost via Giswi l to Luzern

This is what I came up with to get you there on time for 3pm (two choices)

DEPART: Montreux 7.44 am 9.44 am

via Zweisimmen (CHANGE TRAINS)

ARRIVE: Interlaken Ost 10.57 am 12.49 pm

DEPART: Interlaken Ost 12.04 pm 1.04 pm

via Giswil

ARRIVE: Luzern 1.55 pm 2.55 pm

You will see exactly the same scenery along the way.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

Hi roseywah18

You also can look for the timetable in one time if you input from Montreux to Lucerne via Gstaad (or any other station along the route), then press the advanced search button and input via Giswil (or any other station along the track) and you will get it. There would be a train leaving Montreux at 09.40h and arriving Lucerne at 14.55h. There are earlier ones.

There is a more direct way to go if you input from Montreux to Firenze via Interlaken Ost (does not do the detour via Lucerne).

pore

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

If I have figured it out correctly, the golden pass website is only for tickets plus seat reservations, right? For those trains that you can get seat reservations on? You can still take the golden express and just buy the tickets at the station in Montreux and seat reservations are not required?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

The Golden Pass website only shows the "branded" Panoramic and Classic trains. There is a normal regional train service over exactly the same route every hour. And yes, you are right - you can still take one of the "panoramic" or "classic" trains with a normal ticket bought at Montreux train station - reservations are not mandatory on ANY train on the Golden Pass line.

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

Can you please look at the time table for me on the Swiss railway site on March 26 leaving Montreux in the am and going to Zweisimmen via Gstaad? It seems that the train times listed on the GoldenPass's timetable aren't even on there. The earliest one leaves at 6:37, and the next two ones are way longer with bus routes included. Are they doing work on the lines? If I took the 6:37 train on the train 2210, would that be the same route as the GoldenPass train 2112?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,499 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

You need to look at trains marked R only - this is the Goldenpass line. The trains you are looking at after the 0637 go via Lausanne and Visp respectively and are not Goldenpass line. Just another way of getting from Montreux to Zweisimmen.

According to the Goldenpass schedule there is a train leaving Montreux at 0744 which with connections arrives in Luzern at 1255. This goes via Zweisimmen, Spiez and Interlaken. The next one is at 0944 but that is too late for you. (There is one at 0844 but it doesn't connect all the way through to Luzern so ignore that one!)

Do you have to go to Luzern?? I ask because there are trains leaving for Florence with connection in Milan from SPIEZ. You could take the 0944 train from Montreux to Spiez (arrives Spiez 1218 with change in Zweisimmen) and then connect to Milan and Florence from Spiez at 1405, arriving Florence at 1855. And the train Montreux Zweisimmen is the Goldenpass VIP - the top-of-the-line panoramic train. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go all the way to Luzern if your aim is to get to Florence!!

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

We actually have to be in Zurich before 17:00 for a night train to Prague and would like to do the whole Golden Pass route. (Our plans changed a bit).From what I'm seeing on the Swiss rail website, the train leaving from Montreux at 6:37 to Zweisimmen getting there at 8:34, is the same route as the Golden Pass train route I saw. It goes through Gstaad and Château-d'Oex. What I'm confused about is I have the GoldenPass timetable printed off and I'm looking at it right now and it says it leaves at 7:44am, but I don't see it on the Swiss rail website. I thought it would show up on that?

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

So this train leaving at 6:37 is marked as an R. That means it's a Golden Pass train? Or just goes the same route? It's not the same train number as listed on the Golden Pass timetable from Montreux to Zweisimmen. Thanks!!!

Alton, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

Maybe here is my confusion-I thought that the golden pass route from Montreux to Zweisimmen would show up on the Swiss rail site and that you could buy tickets for it just that day or what not at the train station. Is that not the case and the reason it's not showing up and I have to book somewhere else?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,499 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Pass Confusion!

R = regional (very local in fact)

I see the problem you are having or at least I hope I do! You have been looking for trains to Zweisimmen, which is logical. The Goldenpass site divides its trains into those going on to Luzern, with all the connections (Goldenpass), and other services it offers, in this case connections via Zweisimmen to Lenk.

The train leaving Montreux at 0637 arrives in Zweisimmen at 0834. You then connect to another train and arrive in Spiez at 0947. Connect to another train and you are in Interlaken Ost at 1028. From there you say you want to go to Luzern? Or are you going now to Zürich?

if Luzern you can take an 1104 train from Interlaken Ost to Luzern, arriving at 1255. But if you are really headed for Zürich it would be faster to go from Spiez to Bern to Zürich.

Here in Switzerland we have the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB CFF FFS) and then a host of private rail companies. The MOB (Montreux Oberland Bernois) line runs the line Montreux to Zweisimmen. The BLS (Bern Lötschberg Simplon) runs the line Zweisimmen to Spiez. Then Spiez to Interlaken is on the SBB. And finally the Zentralbahn runs the line Interlaken Ost to Luzern over the Brünig. the entire thing is marketed under "Goldenpass". And is, I readily admit, very confusing even to us Swiss!!