We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

goldenpass train

Florida and Cape Cod
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
goldenpass train

We will traveling from Montreux to Interlaken in Sept. Would reservations be necessary on the panorama train?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: goldenpass train

Hi beachgalfi,

No, they aren't.

The only time you need to make reservations is if you want to sit in the VIP seats at the very front or very rear of the train. Otherwise, just hop on the train that fits your schedule.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,861 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: goldenpass train

You do not want the rear of the train. Nothing more dismal than seeing everything going backwards! By contrast the very front row of the VIP seats (there are two rows) is amazing and well worth it. You also DO need reservations if you want to travel in any First Class seat on Fridays to Sundays and almost always in summer... But not in second class. (There are more second class cars than first!)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: goldenpass train

Hambagahle, I have some disagreements with you on your points here.

First, I don't think that everyone would find it dismal going backward -- I know I don't. So long as the views had the same expanse, it would make no difference at all to me if I were going forward or backward. Indeed, sometimes you get a longer look at the beauty as it recedes.

Also, as you know, I've spent many weeks in the villages and towns along the Golden Pass route. I would hop on and off the trains a few times a day, every day. That includes from Chateau d'Oex in July once and from Gstaad in August two times. I'm usually in first class, and I never had reservations. Only one time did I have trouble finding an available seat, and that was at lunchtime, when I had to stand for 20 minutes. So, I repeat, no reservations are necessary --

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,861 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: goldenpass train

I disagree and we shall have to agree to do so. I have also been (frequently, since I take guests on it!) on the Goldenpass Panoramic. I always travel First. And if on a weekend or public holiday AND especially in the ski season this train is crowded in First. Most people travelling together like to sit together. Which is why reserving seats is smart when the train is likely to be busy.

The Panoramic doesn't run at lunchtime. There are two each day in each direction. And I am specifically talking about that train and not the normal ones.

Personally I hate going backwards. I even hate sitting backwards...in a normal carriage!

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: goldenpass train

>The Panoramic doesn't run at lunchtime. There are two each day in each direction.

There are six Goldenpass Panoramic trains a day between Montreux and Zweisimmen, two of which have VIP seats. There are also two Goldenpass Classics.

See schedule at:- www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=251

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: goldenpass train

Yes, we can agree to disagree, lol!

Well, I got on a panoramic coach around lunchtime in Gstaad. It may have been the one that leaves Montreux at 11.44 and arrives in Gstaad at 13.03. Or it could have been the one that leaves Zweisimmen at 12.25 and arrives in Gstaad at 12.51. As far as I know, that's lunchtime.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,861 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: goldenpass train

OK - I see the problem. I am talking about the Golden Panoramic VIP train and you are talking about a normal train... also panoramic but without the VIP seats.

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: goldenpass train

I wonder if you can advise me?

I am hoping to travel on the Goldenpass line from Montreux to Gstaad. I am actually staying in France so will have no swiss railcard, or any other pass. Looking online at the 1144 train it appears to cost 8CHF each way whether you are in 1st or 2nd class. Am I missing something? And is it really that cheap?

If I want to travel w/c 12 August, should I pre-book?

Is Gstaad a good option for a few hours before making the return journey?

And if I pre-book, how easy is it to get my tickets? Do I collect them at the station?

Thanks!

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: goldenpass train

The 2nd class fare Montreux to Gstaad is 25 CHF each way. 1st class 44 CHF each way.

You can get fares at:- www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

No need to pre-book.

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: goldenpass train

Thanks. I have found the whole thing so confusing, I think I'm just going to leave it! The Goldenpass website allows me to book for 8Chf...is that just reserving the seat, rather than actually travelling I wonder...? And if I book on sbb.ch, how do I book an actual seat? (There are 6 of us and we obviously want to sit together).

Grrrr....