We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Hello all of you again. I know you have already offered me advice and a few already recommended Gruyere for a train trip from Montreux. However, in my research I have come across another journey to Rocher-de-Naye and the views appear to be fantastic. Is this more a mountain view trip than a lush Swiss meadow trip? Has anyone done both and had a preference? I think my husband and I would prefer the most dramatic scenery but without having to go as for as the Matterhorn!

I expect all 3 trips are fantastic but if you have any further insights I would appreciate it. Have a nice weekend.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Have done the trips you mentioned and think neither provides "most dramatic" scenery. Rochers-de-Naye is not yet a trip to the High Alps with glaciers. Still meadows and lovely green meadows. The views are spectacular, though, if weather cooperates. It is often a bit foggy due to high humidity (Lake Geneva!). You see the dramatic mountains in far distance - Mont Blanc, Valaisienne Alps in particular.

For a more dramatic scenery trip go to Col du Pillon between Gstaad and Les Diablerets and take the cable car up to Glacier de Diablerets (Glacier 3000). It is doable as a round trip from Montreux on one day, but you have to leave early.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

The Rocher de Naye is well worth a trip and since I last visited there thay have added an attraction called 'Marmots Paradise' details on the www.mob.ch site.

Another trip worth considering is to take the SBB train to Aigle then from the front of the station the brown and cream trains of the Aigle Leysin which climb steeply through the vinyards to reach the mountain village of Leysin.

If you follow the signs from the Feyday Station to the La Berneuse Cable Car you reach a Mountain Plateu with fantasic views of the Rhone Valley and the Dent du Midi.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Rochers de Naye is a fun tram up the mountainside. You go thru meadows, see wildflowers, traditional chalet homes. But it really depends on the weather at the top. It is often very fogged in, even when it is good weather below. Don't get me wrong it is still fun, but my girlfriend and I had to laugh as we sat in the restaurant at the top having glasses of wine looking out the huge picture windows... into a cloud. You couldn't see a thing. but was still a fun day. Even with a clear day this ain't the Matterhorn.

I really enjoyed the castle at Gruyere, it is still furnished in the period in most of the rooms. My friend drove us, so I don't know about the train trip. It was beautiful along the way. After the castle we stopped for a traditional lunch of meat/cheese board at an extremely charming cafe.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

suze2you - I know what you mean about the fog - we took a day trip to Sirmione once on Lake Garda and we couldn't see two feet infront of us. And I have heard of people traipsing all the way up Mount Etna on a day trip from Malta!!!!!! for the same to happen - 5 hours there and 5 hours back! oh dear. I shall go armed with all the facts and play it by ear when I get there. Enough research already! I will just eat cheese and chocolate and see where the fancy takes me.

Bye all and thanks.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Always have a plan B when visiting mountainous areas as the weather can change very quickly. Generaly in Switzerland the early mornings is the best time to go high up before the convection effect builds clouds throughout the day. Very often when you it's cloudy and rainy on the northern side of the alps it will be sunny on the southern side. The Vallais, Ticino and Engadine re the sunniest area's.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

I thought more about this after I posted yesterday. While Roche de Naye makes for a funny story and certainly was a worthwhile 1/2 day, if I had to choose between them, I'd definitely pick going to Gruyere. It's must... well... more of something to do. More memorable.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

If it were raining, Gruyeres might be better, as you can go around the cheese museum and up into the village and chateau. However, it might also be better in the sun, as you can get a quite short bus journey up to Moleson village from Gruyeres (or drive if you are in the car). From there, there is an excellent stomach lurching new funicular up to a cable car, which takes you to the top of Moleson, with lovely views of the prealps and a nice self service restaurant. Once, when I was on the cable car, I said to my friend, this is a place where you can sometimes see marmots (I'd actually never seen one there, but I wanted to look knowledgeable), and then "squeak, squeak, squeak" we heard, and there were some marmots on the scree below. Cool!

If you were going by train, if you go to the sbb website (where you can check about trains and buses) and typed in Moleson village as your final destination, you would be able to find out about bus times.

USA/CH
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

I got engaged at the Rocher-de-Naye so I am biaised ;) I personally think it's worth a stop, taking the mob up is really fun and the view up there is beautiful. You're in the mountains overseeing the lake. It's not the dramatic scenes of the Matterhorn but it's really nice.

Gruyere is a great for a rainy day, as previously mentionned. You can visit the castle, have a fondue and visit the cheese factory. Depending on how much time you have and when you go, you might also stop in Broc at the Nestle chocolate factory.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

Sounds like you had a memorable trip CHMiss. I hope Ollygirl reads your post as she knows all about romance on the mountains!! Congratulations.

USA/CH
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rocher-de-Naye or Gruyere or Chateaux D'oex for train trip?

It wasn't that exotic for me since I grew up in the area but it was sweet of my husband (of 4 yrs now!) LOL