We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

I will be visiting various places in switerzland like interlaken , gstaad and grindelwald , zermatt , montrux ...Is evian les bains worth a visit compared to these places ?? how far is it from chillon castle ???

4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

This gives me a lot to think about. Of all the trips I have planned to Europe, this one has been the most challenging even with the great Swiss train system. I guess this should have been obvious to me since we are going there to see the countryside not a specific city with a Hilton in the middle of it. The architecture has always been one of our favorite things to explore in Europe and the old towns/villages. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,129 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

if you like old towns and villages you will love Stein am Rhein.

4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

If you would be so kind as to help me one more time I would appreciate it.

Leaving Evian on the morning of the 24th and ending up in Zurich on the 28th, where would be the best places to book hotels for 4 nights in order to see the Jungfraujoc area and also to do the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz (or the reverse order). From what I can tell, the earliest boat crossing the lake into Lausanne is not until about 10:00 so I don't know how to get going any earlier. Thanks for you help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,129 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

You cannot do all these things in the time you have.

The first boat from Evian to Lausanne on SUNDAY 24 June (normally these are commuter boats, but Sunday is Sunday!) leaves at 0820 and arrives at 0850 in Lausanne-Ouchy.

I strongly suggest you simply go to Lausanne, then to Zermatt. Stay there for two nights, continue to lauterbrunne, stay there for two nights and end up in Zürich. The Glacier Express and St Moritz is WAY too ambitious for the time you have available...

Memphis, Tennessee
13 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

I have a very similar situation. We are arriving in Geneva and staying in Evian on the first night. Next day, we want to go to Interlaken on the Golden Pass Route. We will then be in Interlaken for several days. Can someone tell me the best way to get from Evian to Interlaken? Thank you for any help! Also, what is the best way from the airport in Geneva to Evian?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,129 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

Geneva airport to Evian - Take any train to Lausanne. Change there to the Metro for OUCHY. At Ouchy (end of the line) cross the street and take the next shuttle boat to Evian.

Check ALL timetables on www.sbb.ch/en

Hint: At Lausanne station either walk across the station square (Place de la Gare) or underground in the tunnel following signs with a big M on them. If above ground, head for Mc Donalds. The entrance to the Metro is next to McDo.

For Interlaken:

Reverse process to Lausanne and then take any train to Montreux. If a local it will take longer. There are two express trains an hour. Takes about 20mins and is a very very pretty ride - sit on the right facing the engine. The train runs along the lake.

Change in Montreux to Golden Pass train.

you really would have been tons better staying either in Geneva the first night OR Montreux. Although the boat only takes 30 mins and is lovely, it is silly to give yourself all this hassle for one night. And local transport from Geneva to Evian on the land is very slow as you have to cross the lake, then take a train from the Eaux Vives station and they do not run often.

Memphis, Tennessee
13 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

Thank you so much for your help. As a result of your info, we have changed our plans and are now leaving from Geneva airport and taking the train to Montreux. Then the next day, we will take the Golden Pass route to Interlaken. Any favorite places to eat in Montreux for what will be tired weary travellers?

Thank you again!!!!!

18. Re: evian les bains or gstaad , montrex , zermatt etc ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 pm, June 17, 2013