We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

NJ
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Thanks to mountaintopper I have an idea of how we will spend our 2-1/2 days in Wengen. Now I’m hoping to get an idea of how to put together the short time we have in the Montreux area. There are 8 of us (4 adults and 4 "children" ages 16-21).

We’ll arrive early evening on a Thursday. We then have Friday and Saturday. We leave very early on Sunday.

Based on my research on this forum, we would like to do the following:

Chateau de Chillon

Rochers de Naye

Walk the Promenade

Explore the Old Town of Montreux

Explore Vevey

(perhaps attend Market in Vevey on Saturday)

Gruyeres

Other possibilities that we probably don’t have time for would include:

Moleson

Callier Chocolate Factory

Lausanne and Olympic Museum

Will this fit into my time frame? What would be the best itinerary to do this with respect to geographical location of each activity and cost effectiveness of taking various cog trains, etc. (We will have a Swiss Pass so I will figure 50% for the “mountain” transportation).

Thanks very much for your help!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

With the itinerary below, I have tried to fit in as many of your preferred options as possible, without being ridiculous - I know it's possible to do these things in this order, because I have done them (but I do like to keep moving!):

Thursday evening: Explore area around hotel, head down to the lakefront and soak up atmosphere.

Friday (option 1): Train to Gruyeres, explore cheese museum by station and old town. Have lunch in Gruyeres. Take the bus up to Moleson village and then funicular and cable car to the top of Moleson mountain. Enjoy the views, watch the paragliders take off, take a mountain top walk, and have a snack at the cafe. Take the train back to Montreux, and spend the evening strolling around the old town. (This option would be a full day away from Montreux, but is quite doable)

Friday (option 2): Take the train from Montreux to Rochers de Nayes. See the view. See the marmots. Take a walk. Eat at the cafe. Head back down to Montreux and spend the rest of the afternoon/evening strolling around.

Saturday: Take the train or bus to Vevey, go to the folklorique market (if you are going to be there in the Summer) and buy a picnic lunch (particularly nice are the cheese tarts). I would normally also suggest taking the funicular up to Mont Pelerin from Vevey, but since you may have either taken a funicular and cable car or a steep mountain railway on day one, you can probably bypass this. Catch the boat to chateau de Chillon from the pier near Vevey market. Spend about 3 hours at Chillon exploring, and if it's hot, go to the right of the base for a swim from the pebble and grass beach. Either walk back along the lake path if you have any energy left (one hour), or take the bus back to Montreux. Spend the evening in a nice restaurant in Montreux.

What do you think?

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Hi,

I agree with much of NorthWestLondoner's suggestion, except that I think that both Rochers de Naye and Gruyeres are near-unmissable & so would recommend doing the two in one day, and leaving out Moleson. btw, we tried the old steam train on the Rochers de Naye line, and found it VERY uncomfortable though fun to look at. Ordinary cogwheel train much more comfortable.

A visit to at least one the "wine villages", and taking the train route, an maybe even getting some walking in, would be a lovely addition to the Vevey and Chillon day, and I think it can be fit in. Perhaps Vevey first, then wine train (and walking?), then boat from Cully to the Chateau of Chillon, then walk back along promenade. Heaven!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Hi owrp,

I guess you're going to get as many different opinions as there are folks on this board, lol!

Though I've been to Montreux about nine times since 1995, I haven't yet been up to Rochers-de-Naye (though I have been as far as Glion). I guess my thinking is that it won't be as dramatic as seeing the peaks of the BO, the Engadin, or the Valais. So I take my mountains in the big-mountain areas and enjoy the lakeside when I'm in Montreux.

But all of that is probably not relevant because you do want to see it! So I agree with swissfan to do the Rochers & Gruyeres in one day. It shouldn't be too much of a problem; the trip up to Rochers takes about an hour each way, and you're ending right at the station to take on to Gruyeres. You can be in Gruyeres by afternoon and enjoy a good wander and a good dinner.

And I definitely agree that swissfan's itinerary for the Lavaux is great. You'll get it all -- the vineyards, the Lavaux, & the promenade. It's a great circle.

Just to help you plan, here are some sites

www.cgn.ch for lake ferries

www.rail.ch for train rides

Have fun!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Swandav, I also love the Bernese Oberland, the Engadin, and the Valais for real mountains, but the trip up to Rochers de Naye is GREAT. Not only is there an alpine garden, but also incredible views, including of Lake Geneva and south to the Valais, and also some wonderful walking, and at intermediate stations. the only thing I don't like is the marmot park. Marmots should be free and wild!! It's too bad there is no longer a glorious hotel at Caux! The other trips into the hills, e.g. to Mt Pelerin also lovely, all especially in flower season - imo anyway. I understand there is skiing of sorts in the area.

By the way there is - or was - an unassuming 1st floor restaurant on the main little street of Villeneuve that has the most extensive amazing list of local wines, many offered by the glass, which I very much enjoyed - can't remember the name - but if owrp is in a party of 8, after Chillon, an early supper there of lake fish and wine, followed by a walk back to Montreux might be fun.

swissfan

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Hi,

Oh yes, I agree with you about Villeneuve. I like the restaurants there more than the ones in Montreux -- less heavy cheese, lighter dishes, and also a bit cheaper. At one place, I had a wonderful salad with slices of brie on the top -- oh, it was great!! And then the walk back along the promenade -- doesn't get much better.

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

I personally think Gruyeres and Rochers de Nayes would be too much for one day, whereas Gruyeres and Moleson are next to each other. But, then I'm a big fan of the cable car up to the top of Moleson (from which I have also spotted marmots running around and whistling in the scree below) and the lovely view from the top. However, it's possible that owrp will be cable car'd out by the previous bit of his/her holiday.

So much to do, so little time!

Let us know how it goes, whatever you choose to do!

Oh, and Swandav - you should definitely go up Rochers de Nayes. There are nice looking walks and the view is something special.

NJ
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

Thank you all so much for your very helpful responses. We will have to play it by ear about whether we go to Rochers-de-Naye. It may depend on whether we go to Schneige Platte. If we do, that will probably satisfy my desire to see the alpine garden. It was really that, more than the mountain view, that attracted me. Like Swandav suggested, it seems it would be hard to top the BO views.

You're right - so much to do - so little time!!! It all looks so wonderful.

Thank you for your restaurant suggestion. Do you have any additional recommendations for restaurants?

Also, not that I have any time for this, but the museums in the area sound interesting. Have you been to either:

Food Museum/ Alimentarium in Vevey

Le Musee Suisse du Jeu (Games Museum) in La Tour-de-Peilz

Olympic Museum in Lausanne

Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

I have been to the Food Museum about 7 or 8 years ago and I remember enjoying it - they gave me an apple at the end and for some reason I think they had free internet.

The Olympic Museum was another good museum, but as I'm not a sports buff there was quite a lot of rather specific stuff that didn't mean much to me. It's in Ouchy, down by the lake front.

The Callier factory I've yet to get to, but all reports sound good.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

The Vevey open air Saturday morning farmers market is my VERY absolute most favorite thing to do in the area!! Followed by Chillon, Gruyeres and Roches de Naye (in order of preference). Old Town Montreux is very nice but won't take more than 1-2 hours max even if you stop for lunch somewhere. It's very small.

10. Re: Help organize my 2+ days in Montreux area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 03, 2009