We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

Save Topic
stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

I have been looking at so much on the web, but I wanted input from those of you that have experience.

My spouse has to work for the week while in Lausanne. My 27yo daughter and my 13 yo son and I are avid hikers, the 35 km from Lausanne to Monteaux would be too much for my son. We are looking at making this an outdoor visit to Switzerland.

We have been fortunate to have visited Geneva, Jungfrau, Shilthorn and Matterhorn over thew last few years. This year our travels take us to Lausanne and we have a car this year.

I am trying to find day treks for the three of us and return to the hotel by 17:00.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Our current stay is at the Hotel IBIS, Ch. Esparcette 4. That may change since I found an apartment.

Thanks for all of your help.

Lori

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

Hi world traveling mom,

Here are a few ideas that I put together for my own trip, which will be based from Montreux (all easy to get to from Lausanne as well):

1. Flowered lakeside promenade from Clarens to Villeneuve, about 10km

2. Circuit Botanique, 1h50, from Les Pleiades to Lally

3. Haute Route de la Riviera, in two stages: 2h35 from Jaman to Sonloup, then 3h30 from Sonloup to Les Pleiades

4. Chemin Panormanic, 2h from Jaman station to Caux

5. Wine route, 40 minutes, from Chexbres to Rivaz

6. Chemin des Narcisses, 1h30, from Sonloup to Les Avants

Just a note -- you really don't need a car in this area. I've been there about nine times and only once had a car -- and regretted it. It's a lot more fun to go one way and come back another, or go one way by train and return by lake ferry, etc.

Good luck!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

Hi again,

Checked my notes, and here are some more hikes:

Deers round trip Lally – Ferme de l’Aplayau – Sommet des Pléiades – parc des biches – cuvette des Pléiades – ferme de Bondenoces – Lally

Duration 1h15 (for good walkers)

- Villeneuve - Les Grangettes - Grand Canal et retour 1h30

- Villeneuve - Les Grangettes - Le Bouveret 1h45

- Villeneuve - Château de Chillon - Montreux 1h15

- Villeneuve - Sonchaux et retour 3h30

- Villeneuve - Chaude 4h00

- Chaude - Rochers de Naye 1h45

Rochers-de-Naye-Chaude 1h20

Chaude-Rochers-de-Naye 1h45

Villeneuve-Chaude 4h00

Chaude-Villeneuve 3h30

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

Yes, I know an excellent hike that I have done a number of times. A couple staying in Lausanne recently went on it following my directions from Tripadvisor and messaged me saying it was the highlight of their trip! So, happily, I can recommend this hike. Go to this link below, and the hike is the one to Moleson:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g644345-c57835/Les-Pa…

Details on how to get to the start point of this hike can be found here (driving directions at the bottom of the page):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g644345-c57837/Les-Pa…

The best place for you to leave your car would be in the car park below Les Rosalys Hotel and specific directions on getting there from the village can be found in the restaurant guide I made (do not take the steep turning up to the hotel, but instead park in the large car park below it):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g644345-s5/Les-Paccot…

Starting from this car park, you will see yellow sign posts to Moleson. The walk takes you briefly through woods, then across fields and through farmland, and then the sign posts indicate that you have to choose whether to go straight on to Moleson, or off to the right to Moleson. In order to make a good circular walk, I would recommend following the right hand sign to Moleson, which takes you up and along the ridge. Once you have reached the top of Moleson mountain, there is a cafe and lots of very beautiful views. You can hike, or take the cable car down to the mid point of the mountain (Plan Francey) and return in the direction of Les Paccots on an easier flatter path.

Since you have a car, I am sure you would also love a sunset trip to La Saletta mountain buvette (instructions in the restaurant guide, given above).

Hope that all helps. Happy hiking wherever you end up!

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

everything around Gstaad is a good place for hiking. see

gstaad.ch/en/sport/gs-sommersport/wandern.htm

to see something different you could also go to the other Swiss mountains the Jura. I like the area around the lac de joux very much. see http://www.myvalleedejoux.ch/ (they also have a link to some good hikes). I did the hike on the left bank of the lake, it's about 3 hours in forest or small towns and not diffcult.

an other great hiking area is above Aigle

villars.ch/en/navpage_list-SummerVG-HikeSVG.…

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

very close to lausanne is Verbier!! there are millions of different hikes to do in the surrounding mountains (4 valles area).. have a look this page:

www.verbier.ch/index.cfm…

I hope this helps!! :-)

6. Re: stay in Lausanne, 2 kids that love to hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 04, 2009