We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tattoo etiquette.

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tattoo etiquette.

I am a woman with full sleeve tattoos done by world renowned artists. Visiting a particularly influential tattoo artist brings me to Switzerland twice a year, and I work in some sight seeing when I visit. However, while walking around as a tourist in the cities, I receive scathing glares from the local women, mostly. This day in Lausanne was especially a bummer. It is very hot out, and I am wearing a summer dress that isn't offensive, but my fully tattooed arms are uncovered. I see that Swiss people don't have many tattoos, but is it offensive to be myself and let my tattoos hang out, as I do at home in New York City?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tattoo etiquette.

Hi FastAli

As you said, there are less people with tattoos here than in the States. Most of people who have this kind of tattoos participate in the motorcycle or rock clubs. Many of them may be seen as suspect to other residents. As you are in this case different from others they will look at you. I do not think they are aggressive or unfriendly to you because of your tattoos (at least I do not hope so).

No, it is not offensive to hang out your tattoos on the arms but you will (unfortunately) suffer the glares of others. Just do not look at them.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tattoo etiquette.

A lot of people have tattoos here too. But people with a LOT of tattoos do get stared at. I know I stare when I see someone with all their arms or legs covered in them. I don't mean to be rude but I stare because I wonder why on earth they would want to do that!! I shall try not to stare from now on...

3. Re: Tattoo etiquette.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 15, 2015