We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne Vs Geneva

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lausanne Vs Geneva

Hi all

We were planning a trip to Geneva on our visit (staying in Champex) but having second thoughts. We are a group with 2 in their early 20s, one who thinks she's still in her 20s and a 15 year old with 2 dogs.

We aren't looking for cathedrals but we like pretty buildings and photography and we are what you would call 'hip' young people and one of our group hates too many crowds! We also like the outdoors and were thinking of lake activities such as kayaking or boating (not a boat trip specifically) so Lausanne seems a better fit - but we would like to know if we would be missing out on anything? Is lausanne as lovely as it seems? Would we be better there?

Any help is appreciated!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne Vs Geneva

Lausanne is, of course, closer. It is a very "Swiss" city compared to Geneva. And very hard to find ones way around unless you know it quite well. Which is a problem for first timers! It is on a long sloping hill down to the lake which is bisected by the bed of an old river, the Flon. So you never know (until you get used to it!) what level you are on, and especially not from a map. The post of Lausanne is called Ouchy and is easy to reach from the station by Métro. There is a sort of centre around the Place St François, and another around the Place de la Palud where the Hôtel de Ville is. It has a nice, small "vieille ville" or old town and it does have a lovely cathedral! Also it is very good for shopping.

Geneva is a more international city. We Swiss often say "Genève c'est pas la Suisse!" to which there is some truth since for centuries until it joined the Confédération it was an independent city state. It has a long long history going back to "villages lacustres" or lake dwellings on piles. The old town in Geneva is magnificent. And there is a lot to see and do there, so much so in fact that one day is really not enough.

See this for lausanne: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188107-c180593/Lausa…

and this for Geneva: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

You can rent "drive yourself" boats in both places but I am not sure about kayaks! Certainly small motor boats and of course "pedalos".

I think, coming from Champex Lac I would choose Lausanne if only because it is closer. But perhaps you should also consider Vevey too. The old town there is full of lovely buildings, and nice little boutiques. And if you are there on a Tues or a Sat there is a large market.

Paris, France
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne Vs Geneva

Lausanne has much more of a 'young' feeling, there are lot of students in the city and although both are home to huge ex-pat communities I think Lausanne has a much better vibe.

I think the views of the lake and surroundings are better from Lausanne and it is generally a little more purse-friendly.

You'll find plenty to do in either city but Lausanne has more to offer.

3. Re: Lausanne Vs Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 24, 2014