We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne Public Transportation

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Lausanne Public Transportation

Having a lot of trouble with Rail Europe and other websites to find the information I need in regards to transportation. I did find a couple of prices I needed Lausanne to Montreaux and Lausanne to Geneva (12.00 and 20.00 respectively).

But what about travel just around the city - I found some information that said a 24 hour pass would be about 7.60 CHF - is this about right?

I also found other info that mentions a Galaxy pass for 10, 20, or 50 CHF - but it doesn't explain what a Galaxy pass is?

Please help!! Any information regarding Lausanne transit would be helpful!

Thx, Nic

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Hi 26.2runner,

The Raileurope site is not the best one to use to find the schedules and the fares for European trains -- your best bet is to go to each country's rail site. For Switzerland, that is

www.rail.ch

(Raileurope is good for train passes but fails pretty badly with complete schedules and accurate fares)

You'll see that the cost of the trip to Montreux is 10.20 chf, not $12; their fares for the trip to Geneva is surprisingly accurate though!

You may want to look into buying a Half Fare Card if you'll be on the trains a lot -- it costs 99 chf and gives you half off nearly everything that moves.

For transport within Lausanne, you can take a look at the Lausanne tourism site:

www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/view.asp…

Also, if you are staying in a hotel or apartment and are paying the tourist tax, you will get a "Welcome Card" that gives you free use of all transport within the city for the duration of your stay. More information at

www.lausanne-tourisme.ch/view.asp…

Have a great trip!

s

Edited: 12:58 am, November 11, 2010
Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Thank you for your advise! The Welcome card that offers free travel within Lausanne is just what I need!! I'm looking at a place in Lutry though - I don't suppose they would give a free travel card for Lausanne?

We are coming in July (gymnastics) when almost everything is sold out or extremely expensive, so I', trying to find the best solution. The transport system is what I need to figure out before I can book any hotels, and I have to have them booked by Nov 21 (as does the rest of Canada) so I'm trying to get this done as Quick as I can!)

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Lutry is within the Lausanne urban transport network, which works on a zone system (the price of the ticket depends on the number of zones you cross). The centre of Lausanne is zone 11, whereas the immediate periphery (including Lutry) is in zone 12, so you will need a two-zone ticket to travel from one to the other.

A single ticket for two zones costs 3 CHF, whereas a day pass costs 8.60 CHF. These tickets are valid on both buses and trains, and also on the Lausanne metro (subway) system.

Lutry has its own station, there are two trains an hour between Lutry and lausanne.

For a map of the Lausanne transport system and full details of tariffs, see www.t-l.ch/contenu/tarifs-mobilis.html.

Hope this helps !

Edited: 12:14 pm, November 11, 2010
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Hi again,

What great news that Lutry is within the Lausanne transport network -- that can save you some hassle & money.

I absolutely adore Lutry -- I think you'll be really happy there. Also think about renting an apartment if you'll have a week there. You'll pay less and get a bit more room. Or, use that B&B site to see what's also available in Lutry.

Let us know as your plans progress!

s

Emerald, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Hi we too are travelling to Lausanne though from Australia for the gymnaestrada in july. We have found an apartment in Lutry, everything was booking as fast as i was looking. I just wanted to say thanks for the links they will be very helpful we are hoping to do some sight seeing around Lausanne in that week as well.

Goodluck with the hotel bookings we ended taking what we could and figure we will work the rest out.

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Hi SSamSS...

Where in Lutry did you book? Last night I booked the Le Bourg 7 - it looks fabulous - very good reviews here on tripadvisor. I google-earthed it today and I couldn't be happier; it looks like an incredibly quaint and charming place in a beautiful old village, complete with winding cobblestone streets!!

Maybe we'll be neighbors?

Nic

Emerald, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Oh wow now that is a small world, We too are staying at the Le Bourg 7 in an apartment though not the hotel. There are 4 of us going to watch my neice perform. I was googling the train station and the stadium where it will be and that seems like a bit of a hike. But still very doable.just a walk or maybe a bus?

Thats just freaky.. Have you been to one before?? Anything interesting you have found out? We are staying from the 9th to the 16th. We are flying in to Zurich and training it to Lausanne ,just because its cheaper for us from Oz .

Neighbours we shall be :)

Sam

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Sam,

We are flying into Geneva and taking the train to Lutry - our daughter is staiying withher team in the "Athletes Village' in Lausanne. So just hubby and I in Lutry. The train station is about 500 meters I believe, so about a 5-7 minute walk - but crosses a high traffic street; there is probably a bridge or something though. We haven't been to a World Event before this is our first. Lots to see!

Nic

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

Nic -

the "high traffic" street you will cross is the route cantonale. No tunnel or overpass but there are traffic lights with pedestrian lights so crossing it is no problem at all.

10. Re: Lausanne Public Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 16, 2011