We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne or Montreux?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Lausanne or Montreux?

We'll be in the Berner Oberland next July and wanted to take the Golden Pass to Montreux or Lausanne. Initially I had planned on Montreux as we want to see Chillon, but the more I read the more I wonder if being there in July (mid-week the first week of July) is a smart idea due to the Jass Fesitval.

Which city would you prefer - Lausanne or Montreux? Or Maybe Vevey?

We'll definitely get off in Montreux to go to the Castle, but we can easily hop another train and get out of there if it is going to be over run. But then, I wonder - if there will be lots of people there, will they also be visiting the castle?

I thought we'd arrive around 1300 via train, spend the afternoon in the town and then visit Chillon around 1700 before it closes - might be less crowded?

tks

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Vevey
Vevey
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lausanne or Montreux?

Veytaux Chillon is easy to find from the castle. The easiest way is to follow the lake path for a couple of minutes back towards Montreux, and you can enter from there.

Mentioned in this post
Montreux
Montreux
San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lausanne or Montreux?

Thank you - appreciate it.

13. Re: Lausanne or Montreux?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 26, 2011