We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Hi there, I am considering to visit the vineyards in Lavaux or Chateau de Chillon in December. I will stay 2 nights in lausanne in december for my honeymoon. Thinking of going to visit the vineyards in Lavaux, but am wondering if winter time will be advisable to do the walk frm Grandvaux to lutry/ cully? Will it be too cold and will there be anything to see?

I have visited Chateau de chillon 5 yrs back in summer, but my husband has not been there before. My impression of it was it was just another castle. Do any of u think that it is worth going again in winter?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Hi Ninjiom,

In winter, the vineyards are simply sticks in the mud! It's really not at all pleasant scenery.

I would definitely do Chillon. Even in winter, the promenade is interesting; they used to create leafy sculptures, but I don't know if they still do it. But the landscape is still wonderful with the lake & mountains.

Did you go inside Chillon? Did you read "Prisoner of Chillon" by Byron before you went in? I think it would still be interesting!

s

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

I didnt go in the other time. We only took pictures outside. If this time we visit chillon, do u think it is worth travelling down to montreax to visit the christmas market after that? Some reviews online on montreaux christmas market are not very nice. I am wondering if I should just travel back to Lausanne for the christmas market there.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

I love Chateau de Chillon in all seasons. I find it particularly beautiful in the winter, and it's often much quieter than in the summer. It's quite chilly cold inside (so wrap up warm), but that seems to fire my imagination up even more about people living there in the past. If you do choose to visit the castle, definitely go inside and tour in the room order they suggest - otherwise it's surprisingly easy to miss out on some of the best bits (including the tower and the dungeon). I also enjoy the Christmas market in Montreux. It has got bigger and better each year. The first year I went, I thought it was quite fun, but not much to it. However, they have worked on this, and the atmosphere is nice. I cannot deny that German markets would trounce it, but it's still very pleasant as part of a day in or around Montreux.

Interestingly, I find the vineyards spookily attractive in the winter, and the views from them across the lake rather evocative, but I think I would rather be walking down by the lake, or up in the mountains (if the snow has come) in December.

If there is snow up top, you could consider taking the train from Montreux up to the Rochers de Naye. If your trip is before Christmas, it's very unlikely that the ski lifts will be open up top, but there is a good chance of some snow to play in. You would obviously need to wear appropriate footwear, hats, scarves, gloves and warm layers. It's much nicer to do this trip on a clear day, so that you can enjoy the amazing views on the way up and from the top. I quite like the swirling clouds, but most people like to be able to see the views.

From Lausanne you could also consider taking a trip to Gruyeres, a beautiful walled medieval town, which is also quieter and just as attractive in the winter. To get there, you just take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux and then the narrow gauge train straight through to Gruyeres.

Have a great honeymoon.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Hi again,

I didn't find the Montreux Christmas market very attractive -- it was more like a flea market plus a small petting zoo. But you do have to go through Montreux to get to Chillon, and I love Montreux, so do stop for a lakeside drink or cup of coffee.

I also love Gruyeres as mentioned above. It would be particularly attractive in winter with few other visitors around. You could easily see Chillon & Montreux, then go via Montbovon to Gruyeres, then to Lausanne via Palezieux.

Have fun!

s

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

thank you all for the replies. I think i will not go vineyards then. I may not be going up the mountains in montreax because we will be doing a 2 nights stayover in Wengen, the oberland. As for Gruyeres, I dunno if it will be worth the trip considering that daytime is rather short in winter. Will there be enough time if I do Chillon, montreaux then gruyeres? btw, the cheese factory in gruyere's looks a bit difficult to access. but is it worth going? we will not be driving.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Hi again,

It really depends on how much time you spend inside the castle, how long you linger at a cafe in Montreux, etc. The trip to Gruyeres from Montreux is about 1h15, and back to Lausanne from Gruyeres will be about 1h30.

You could easily to Montreux & Chillon before & around noon, then get to Gruyeres just before the sun goes down, and have dinner there. The cheese factory is just beside the train station -- the village itself is up on a hill about a 15-minute's walk.

You can check all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

When you say difficult to access can you explain a little more about what you mean. It is right next to the station - you just step out of the door and it is in front of you. Perhaps you are looking at information about the smaller dairy up in Moleson above Gruyeres?

Swandav's plan of going to Gruyeres for the late afternoon into the evening is a nice one - it will be quiet and you can have a good dinner in the old town on the hill.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Gruyeres

The cheese factory is right next to the train station. It couldn't be easier to get to!. The factory is open and they make cheese every day of the week. You can see cheese being made from 9 am to 11 am, and from 12.30 pm to 14.30 pm. The most interesting part of the cheese making demonstration takes place at the end of the morning and the end of the afternoon periods so getting to Gruyeres train station around 14:00 or 14:15 p.m. would be perfect.

This is the web site for the cheese factory in Gruyeres:

www.lamaisondugruyere.ch/index.php… It is right there the train station.

Gruyeres itself is small to tiny in size and it doesn't take long to see it but it is a delightful little place. It's a nice little trip. Maybe you would like to have cheese fondue for a meal while you are there?

Enjoy your trip!

Spirit

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,275 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

I would certainly not go to Gruyères in the late afternoon in December. It will be pitchblack and you will not see any of the view from the terrace at the Chateau, which is the best view from the vilalge. You need to go there in the morning or early afternoon if you go at all in December.

Chateau de Chillon is closed at 5pm in winter. (It opens at 10am then).

Depending on the weather the walk through the vineyards in December can be rather lovely. Yes there are no leaves on the vines, but the views down tot he lake are stunning. However if there is snow on the ground (or snow expected) don't try it. Too steep and too slippery!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter walk to vineyards in Lavuax or Chateau de chillon?

Hi all, thanks for the advice! I was reading Rick steve's book on Gruyere's. I thought I remembered reading something about needing to take trains to the cheese factory. Maybe I read wrongly or there are two factories.. The book is not with me now. Nonetheless, i went to chk out that website for cheese factory, looks interesting. Perhaps I will try to pack my itenaries for that day so that I can make it at Gruyere's around 2pm.. :)