We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

Hello all,

I'll be in Lausanne for one night in early October, traveling solo. Do I want to be in the City center or on the lake? This will be my last of 6 nights in Switzerland (and 4 in Bavaria), I will have just come from Lucerne (in a lakeside hotel) and will have also stayed in Zurich and Bern and will have visited many spots in between. A nice view and comfortable room are appealing in the event I'm exhausted at the end of this journey (which makes me think lake). But I would also like to be able to walk outside at night and have a choice of places to eat and stop for a drink (which makes me think city center). Final factor: I'm traveling by train.

If anyone has hotel recommendations that correspond with their opinions on this subject, I'd greatly appreciate them. About 4 star range.

thanks in advance!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

I wonder why you are staying in so many hotels in Switzerland ? It is a relatively small country and many of the places could be accessed from the same town (Zurich, Bern, Luzern... could be done from a single base). With the efficient railways and avalability of Passes/discounts I always try and minimize my hotel switches.

Would it be correct to assume that your final night is planned to be in Lausanne since you are departing from Geneva Airport ? if this is the case you might as well spend your last night in Geneva. I personally found Lausanne at night rather "too quiet". The lake (Ouchy Area) is nice in late spring and summer... am not sure what the weather would be like in October. You can check out the Movenpick Lausanne (modern building, more business but good location, the nearby Beau Rivage is "more" from every aspect including the price).

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

The lakeside of Lausanne (Ouchy) is quiet and there are only few restaurants. However you are very fast in the city center - the funicular takes you there in a few minutes (on the way up to old town there is a stop at the railway station, so it's convenient too if you travel by train). So if you prefer lake view you better stay in Ouchy. In city center there are only few hotels with lake view (as the Palace, but it's a 5 star and very expensive, check www.lausanne-palace.com).

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

Thanks Sherif. No, I am staying in Lausanne because the next day I take the train back to Paris, from where I will eventually fly back to the US. The trip is from Paris, through switzerland to Munich, and back to Paris, so I'm slowly making my way there and back and yes, am minimizing the number of hotels, but trying to break up long days on the train. I'm stopping in Geneva on the way into switzerland from Paris. For the return, the trains are better from Lausanne. I was also thinking of Montreux instead of Lausanne, but it sounds a bit sleepy. Any other ideas -- towns close to Geneva or Lausanne worth a stay for the night.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

the only thing to add is that you can take the RER directly from Berne to Paris.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

Sorry meant the TGV (I am confusing my express metros with express trains now)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lausanne City Center or Lakeside

It depends on how you want to spend your time.

If you will be walking along the lake and sticking close to the hotel, stay lakeside at the Beau Rivage. If you will shopping, trying "out of hotel" food, clubbing or taking in the culture of the town, stay in town at the Palace & Spa. Eaither gives you the chance to get to the other but I've found that in-town is better if you will be there a few days. Less public transportation and you dont have to haul what you purchase along with you all day.