We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport between Lausanne and Montreux

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport between Lausanne and Montreux

I am looking to take public transport between Lausanne and Montreux. Can anyone recommend the best way of doing this. Do buses or trains run and if so up till what time at night? And do the boats on the lake run as at the moment I can only find a ferry for 49CHF which seems an expensive way of travelling this short distance.

Any helps greatly appreciated

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport between Lausanne and Montreux

Hi booney

You can find all information about public transport in Switzerland on www.sbb.ch/en Good references are always the local tourist websites. In this case this is for example www.region-du-leman.ch

Do you travel by car or public transport?

If you are travelling by car: Why do you stay in Montreux/Lausanne? (parking is expensive, haveing a car I would stay in small hotel in the wineyards or so)

If go around by public transport have you thought about a public transport pass or discount card (Swiss Pass, Half Fare Card)?

BCRocks
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport between Lausanne and Montreux

I'm here and just did this today.

We took the train from Montreux-Lausanne was like $8.50 per person first class with a half card.

1) First Class was a waste of money. We just got on and sat down. Don't know if we were even in first class. So 2nd class was like 6 bucks each with half card. Nobody even checked tickets the entire time.

2) Took the boat home. First Class again, first class on boats is worth is with half card. We ride up top and drink wine. Total cost was $30 bucks for two. Again, with half card. WOuld have been $60 without. Beautiful ride back! Takes about 1.5 hours.

3. Re: Public Transport between Lausanne and Montreux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 05, 2009