We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
2 posts
Save Topic
Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Hi

I will be going to Lausanne in November for a business trip and hope to be able to add on a short break (3-4 days) - I would welcome any ideas that people have as to how I could see the best Switzerland has to offer in that time, taking into account the time of year.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Hi KiwiFia,

What would you like to see in Switzerland? Would you want to get to the high mountains?

Many first-time visitors to Switzerland enjoy the mountain villages of the Berner Oberland a lot. They are Wengen, Mürren, and Grindelwald. You can get some information on them at

www.wengen.com & www.wengen.ch

www.muerren.ch

www.grindelwald.ch

A beautiful route to the BO is the Golden Pass route via Montreux, Gstaad, & Zweisimmen. You'd probably enjoy the scenery as you climb from the lake on up up and UUPPP to the mountain heights. Information at www.goldenpass.ch.

Have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

ps, Should have also said you may want to go to Zermatt as well.

www.zermatt.ch

s

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
143 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Hi KiwiFia, if you are visiting in late November you should make time to got to the Christmas Market in Montreux, they haven't listed the 2008 dates yet but in 2007 it started on the 24 November. See www.swiss-riviera.com/christmas-market/

If you want to stay in the Lac Leman area then the lakeside towns of Vevey and Montreux can be lovely, these are about 30mins away from Lausanne by train. You should also make a chance to go into one of the village cave in the vineyards of Lavaux to try some of the good local wine. The village of Epesses in the area makes my favourite swiss white wine and the cave is very atmospheric. To get there take the train from Lausanne to Epesses (about 12 mins) and walk up through the vineyards to the village. See www.montreuxtourism.ch/index.cfm?Langue=en

Another idea would be to take the MOB train from Montreux for a trip to Gruyere. The train route is delightful as it goes through the mountains, past the village of Chateau D'Oex. Gruyere is famous for its cheese, has a great chateau and also houses the HR Giger museum. This is a strange, bizarre place that showcases the art of the Giger, who amongst other things was responsible for the creation of the Alien and Predator characters out of the movies.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Hi noisui

Good advice but slight correction. To visit Gruyeres from Montreux it is necessary to change trains at Montbovon, which is before you reach Chateau D'Oex.

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
143 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Thanks for the correction Swissaholic, I was actually thinking of the Chocolate Train, but unfortunatly that only runs through to October.

KiwiFia, to get train times for Gruyere, or any other swiss train for that matter go to www.sbb.ch or you may like to look at http://www.mob.ch/GPS/main.asp

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

If you choose to stay in the lake Geneva area following your business trip, there is more than enough to do in the area to fill your short break.

Have a look at this thread about things to do in the area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188108-i1375-k169…

Also, have a look at these threads:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188107-i922-k1325…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188107-i922-k1206…

New Zealand
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your great suggestions - it is giving me plenty to think about, and it sounds like I will be able to see at least some of the best that Switzerland has to offer in a few days.

8. Re: Ideas please for short break starting in Lausanne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 19, 2009