We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

Hi there, anyone knows anywhere I can look up for information regarding electronic bus and electronic taxi fares in Zermatt? We will be traveling in group of four and wondering which one is the better choice for transport within Zermatt itself, apart from the arrival and departure at/from hotel (with luggage) which hotel shuttle service is available.

Just for your info, some elders in my group have problems with their knees so taxi or bus service might be necessary for us.

Edited: 12:33 pm, March 14, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

FYI#2 we will travel by car; hence, will not carry any of Swiss Passes.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

Hi,

Most places in the center of town near Bahnhof Strasse are rather on the flat side. The valley is narrow, so once you leave the center, the hills start to rise.

Where are you staying?

The Ebus is free if you are using the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise Cable Car system.

Hold on to your ticket. On your way back, you may be asked to show your Cable Car Ticket, so save it when you get off the bus.

zermatt.ch/en/Media/Attractions/Bus-stop-Mat…

When you get off the bus, you will still have to walk over the bridge, take the elevator up to the street level cross over the street and from there board the cable car.

If you take the Funicular to Sunnegga, the bus can drop you off at Rothorn paradise stop.

zermatt.ch/en/…Bus-stop-Rothorn-paradise

You can see the Entrance from your drop off location. Once inside. There is a bit of a Flat walk. You will then need to climb a few steps to get on to the one the first cars.

You can take the MGP (Green) and the Winkelmatten Bus (Red) and pay to go to other points in town. See this website for stops.

http://www.e-bus.ch/home.html

I am not sure exactly what the exact price of a bus ticket is this year, but I would gestimate somewhere in the area of 3 CHF per ride.

For further info weekly bus pass and various stops see zermatt.ch/en/…Bus-stops

However, I doubt you would be in need to a pass for a week!

The Gornergrat bahn is the easiest to reach from the Bahnhof. Right across the street. All flat to get on the train, accept for a few steps.

If you are four a taxi might be close in price to four bus tickets if you stay within the first zone (abt 13CHF).

Zermatt is small, so many places in town are easily accessible

Edited: 1:11 pm, March 14, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Bahnhof
Hotel Bahnhof
112 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Matterhorn Glacier...
1,937 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Sunnegga
Sunnegga
785 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Rothorn
Rothorn
290 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Gornergrat
Gornergrat
4,116 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

Thank you very much for your informative reply, Marb E :)

Our group will stay at Hotel Fluers de Zermatt, 300 meter / 4 min walk from Zermatt Bahnhof to the North, for 2 nights. (FYI -The place is seemingly called "Alpenstern" on Google Map.) We planned to go up the Gornergrat by rail for one day. And visit the village of Zermatt itself for another half a day.

My further questions:

(1) Can the rail ticket to Gornergrat give me access to the e bus free of charge too? For how many days and how many trips?

(2) How do I check out zones concerning taxi fares in Zermatt?

Thanks again for your time

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Hotel Bahnhof
Hotel Bahnhof
112 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Gornergrat
Gornergrat
4,116 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

Know the location of Hotel Fluers de Zermatt --it is quite close to where I stay. It was formerly called Alpenstern. Alpenstern, burnt down! Completely rebuilt the place a new! Was already looking good last summer (2014) , but was not yet open for the summer when we departed in early July?

The walk to the Gornergrat bahn from your hotel is probably close to 300 meters....but count on 5-8 minutes walking if someone has knee problems.

One of our party last summer had to go by taxi back from the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise Cable Car at the south end of the village due to altitude sickness. She could not walk back. The taxi charged 13 chf for that ride to your location. From your hotel, if you walk along Unteremattenstrasse, there is a very brief and slight incline as you approach Spissstrasse (which becomes bahnhoff strasse). It is nothing difficult, but just wanted you to be aware of that.

The ticket to Gornergrat is just for the train. So the Taxi to any of the Trains or cable cars would be an extra fee. If there are mobility issues, I would just take the taxi from the Hotel to the Gornergrat bahn. However, there is no need to decide that now. See how your members feel when they get there.

From where you are located, there is no bus going in the direction of Gornergrat bahn

However, the bus departs from in front of the Gornergrat bahn. So it would be possible to take the bus from The Gornergrat Bahn and then get off at the first stop at Untere Matten which would place you closer to your hotel.

zermatt.ch/en/…Bus-stop-Untere-Matten

You can also pick up the e-bus to Matterhorn cable car ride from there.

The buses make a loop and only stop on Bahnhoff Strass in front of the Bahnhoff and Gornergrat station. After that the bus continues north past Unterermatten and Spiss and eventually loops around and heads south and along the river past the Rothorn Stop I gave you in the previous email. It would technically be possible to stay on the bus, loop around and then return on the bus to The Bahnhof stop in front of the Gornergrat bahn. But I certainly would not recommend it!! Easier, if there are mobility issues given the shortness of your visit to just take a taxi!

The prices of Taxis should be posted on the side of the taxis for zones. Perhaps someone else can tell you precisely what the other zones cost. Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise Bahn are both considered zone 1. As I indicated this is abt 13 CHF. If you have luggage it is extra.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 9:21 am, March 15, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Gornergrat
Gornergrat
4,116 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Matterhorn Glacier...
1,937 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,272 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Rothorn
Rothorn
290 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Hotel Bahnhof
Hotel Bahnhof
112 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
rhode island
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

I would add that if the fare is 13 SFR for up to 6 people. So, a group of 4 splitting the fare is really quite reasonable.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

@Marb E : Thank you so much for the information. That's quite helpful. I really appreciate that :)

@soxfan : Thank you for your comment :)

7. Re: Getting Around : e Bus VS e Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 19, 2016