We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

Dubai
Level Contributor
336 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

Hi everyone!

I want to update everyone that we will be in Switzerland for Christmas week. Here's our schedule.

Dec 25 - Zurich arriving morning (can we still see the Christmas markets? or everything's been packed and gone?) Any recommended itinerary to sightsee for 3 hours stay in downtown?

- Afternoon arriving to St Moritz staying at the Youth Hostel St Moritz. Any activity you suggest for late afternoon and evening?

Dec 26 - Explore St Moritz area - which one is okay to visit? Diavolezza, muottas muragl or Corviglia? We also plan see the quaint village Sils Maria.

Dec 27 - Glacier Express to Zermatt (reserved already! we are excited) arriving 5 pm

Dec 28 -29 - (full days) Zermatt stay via Hotel Plateau Rosa (newly renovated!) I know there is a link for fees going up the matterhorn, but which is better to see, go to the Glacier Paradise or Riffelberg or the Gornergrat side? We are on a budget so we just want to narrow down the choice. or can anybody tell How much each to visit these?

Dec 30- Down to Geneva - Any recommended itinerary for a day trip? Can we visit the Château de Chillon and Montreux?

I know it's a bit tight but we are positive to make it work :) Any comments?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

You have a lot going on in a few days BUT since you already have your reservations for hotels you should be fine!

Some comments:

Christmas markets in Zürich end on 24 December so no luck there. Most things - shops, museums etc - will be closed on Christmas Day but you can walk around the old town. See this for a guide:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

I would think that once you arrive in St Moritz you will be exhausted. But if not - have a hot chocolate at Hanselmann's if they are still open... and perhaps walk around the town.

All the places you list for 26 Dec. are "fine to visit" but Corviglia is the closest. Why don't you take the funicular up there and have lunch at one of the Mathis restaurants? And in the afternoon take a bus to Sils Maria (and please - don't call it quaint! I hate "quaint" - it is beautiful... and also walk from there to Sils Baseglia and get the bus back from there. There is a very nice bakery on that road - Forneria Grond - where you can have tea and cakes.

With two days in Zermatt and IF you have good weather - blow the budget and go both to the Gornergrat AND the Klein Matterhorn. (Note - this is not the Matterhorn. You will see that but you will not go there!) Riffelberg is the station below the Gornergrat. You can stop off there if you like. For me the views from the Gornergrat are fabulous and better than from the "Glacier Paradise" on the Klein Matterhorn. You see more mountains and glaciers from the Gornergrat. But do both if you can. If you cannot - then go to the Gornergrat. Eat in their self-service restaurant and if the weather is good, eat out on the terrace.

Also see in Zermatt - English Church, Matterhorn Museum, Parrish Church and the cemetery. Walk through the old granaries - follow the road marked "Englisherviertal" down to the river for those. Have a fondue at the Stockhorn restaurant...

Then to Geneva. You can easily stop off in Montreux on the way. Put your bags in a locker at the station (or ship them by Fast Baggage from Zermatt to Geneva that morning). Walk or take the bus to Chillon. Visit the castle. Come back to Montreux for lunch and then head on to Geneva...trains run every 30 mins so no problem there and your ticket for the journey Zermatt/Geneva allows you to stop off when and where you like as long as you complete the trip by the end of the day.

Dubai
Level Contributor
336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

Hambagahle, you are indeed helpful. Thanks for the sound advice. and sorry for my usage of the word quaint. :) we are on a tight schedule but while still young and able, we will try to push this plan. Someday, we have no choice but to really slow down. Anyway, thank you thank you!

Edited: 1:15 am, November 27, 2014
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

Don't worry - it is just that villages that seem "quaint" to visitors are very often extremely hard to live in for the locals!! Sils Maria, in fact, is drop dead gorgeous and very up market! totally something other than quaint!!

Dubai
Level Contributor
336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

Is there any bath spa (overlooking the snow mountains, the one i usually see on pictures)that you could recommend in St Moritz? or should we try on Zermatt instead?

Dubai
Level Contributor
336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

also i tried checking the village of Sils Maria, however, it does look more beautiful during summer than in winter. Correct me if I am wrong.

When all's covered with snow, it's so hard to compare. My impression is that we can have that "winter feel" when we visit Zermatt since we are not in the city center?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

The only spa I know in either is at the Metropol hotel and spa in Zermatt. But I am not sure if this is not limited to hotel guests. It has a wonderful view of the Matterhorn.

In winter the lakes in the upper Engadine valley freeze and the two Sils are between two lakes. There is a lot of winter walking around and on the lakes. Cross country skiing etc - it is the Mecca for Cross Country skiing, the Engadine! I think the villages are beautiful no matter the season. And have visited in summer, autumn and winter...

I am not sure what you mean by "winter feel". - Cold? Engadine will be colder than Zermatt. Snow? - hopefully both will have snow by the time you get here (weather is set to turn colder on monday next week). Atmosphere? Both the villages in the Engadine, and the larger places like St Moritz, Pontresina etc have a lot of atmosphere as does Zermatt. But it is not the same in both places. Nor should one expect it to be! different cantons, different languages, different culture and history.

7. Re: booked! Christmas Holidays 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 29, 2015