We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train line to Zermatt interrupted

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Train line to Zermatt interrupted

An avalanche hit the train tracks and also the road from Täsch to Zermatt. So there is no way to reach Zermatt. I guess it won't take too long to remove the snow but at the moment there is no information available when the train line will be reopened.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

Oh, my. Thanks, oller! I hope no one was injured as I recall the horrible tragedy in the 80's when an avalanche caused quite a few deaths on the road between Tasch and Zermatt. I just tried to call friends in Zermatt on Skype and there is no connection so I wonder if the internet is down as well.

Everyone stay safe and be aware of avalanches!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

I don't think that anyone was injured. Fortunately the avalanche came during night, when no trains operated. And I've just read that the road wasn't really hit, but it's closed because there is a risk of further avalanches.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

Seems they might reopen the train line soon. They're clearing the avalanche and checking the line is undamaged. The road will stay closed for the day I'd guess. It's not that unusual for the road to close when the avalanche risk is high.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,841 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

Lots of snow in that area - the Simplon has been closed to all traffic for the last few days because of avalanche danger.

being "avalanched in" in Zermatt can be someone's dream! An enforced prolongation of a stay in a lovely place!! (Happened to my daughter when she was a student...) But usually this doesn't last too long.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

My first holiday in Zermatt was delayed by three days (1966?) when an avalanche took out the station. About 30 of us had to find accommodation in Kandersteg. A few years ago, we were taken down the valley by helicopter after the village had been cut off for several days.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

I have to disappoint all travellers who have been looking forward to an enforced prolongation of their holidays in Zermatt - they've just reopened the train line!

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

The road will be closed a while. It was hit pretty hard by at least one avalanche. The entrance to the tunnel is almost completely blocked by snow.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

here the view of the avalanche in front of the mentioned tunnel with a lot of snow AND wood: 1815.ch/wallis/aktuell/strasse-bleibt-bis-mi…

The Simplon pass has been reopened since 2 March 1AM. Since this early morning the Simplon pass has been reopened even for articulated vehicles and road trains.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

Be careful

slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/lawinengefahr/index_EN

10. Re: Train line to Zermatt interrupted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 06, 2015