We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

We will be staying in Zermatt for a few days then returning to the US, DC area. Flights out of Geneva are hugely expensive unless one flies Aeroflot or Turkish air, neither of which I want to do. It looks like flights out of Milan are cheaper so considering travelling from Zermatt to Milan then catching a flight out. Is this realistic and do able? I will be traveling solo w two kids so dont need anything to be harder than necessary.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

I really don't know the answer but have looked at flying KLM via Amsterdam. Also have you factored in thecost of the rail fare from Milan to Zermat?.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

I found Milan to US to be a pain. You can't use the Fly Rail luggage service, can't use The Swiss Transfer ticket and you need a cab from Gallarate rail station to MXP which was not cheap. Check out returning from Zurich which is pretty much equi distant to GVA and there is greater competition out of ZRH.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

In another post I saw you were going to Paris first. Check out American Airlines nonstop JFK to CDG and return non stop from ZRH. In late March the RT fare was about $1100.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

Zurich is easy from Zermatt but you might need to stay at the airport the night before your flight in order to make the direct AA flight back to NY.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
835 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

The direct flights from GVA to the US tend to be overpriced, as they're used by government officials. Try routing via London, Paris or AMS for better deals.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

You all rock! I did more digging and research following all of your input and we are now booked to fly Zurich to DC. Thank you! I was going crazy trying to find the right travel route to get from Zermatt to US/DC. Not a quick or easy logisiical or financial undertaking. Now I will focus on trying to figure out which of the Swiss/European rail pass products will serve us best.

One adult, two teens will train from Paris to Zermatt, 4 days in Zermatt, then Zermatt to Zurich departure. Will want to figure out which pass covers the most of those transportation needs plus include cable car/trams up and down Zermatt area mountains to ski, toboggan, visit glacier caves plus any discounts for those activities.

Should we bring our own snow pants, coats, helmets or rent those in Zermatt? I would think they would quickly weigh down a suitcase but didn't know if they are rentable items or too personal.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

When are you in Zermatt?

Rail products - if you don't need to travel by rail other than Paris to Zermatt, consider getting a Swiss transfer ticket for the Basel to Zermatt portion and use the TGV as far as Basel. A multi country pass will cover a percentage of the train from Visp to Zermatt but not all - I think it is 50%. How old are the teens? Would they travel free?

Give us a bit more information and we can give you better advice.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

Teens are 14 and 16

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

klm flights were costly. I think it just depends on what is available at a given time and how early one books. We are flying in to Paris and out of Zurich. That is now set.

If I get a Swiss pass for us for within Switzerland, do I also need to purchase transfer tickets or does the Swiss pass include travel to and from border/entry/exit points?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Geneva to WAS too expensive, try Milan?

Swiss Pass includes all travel and gives you a discount on many mountain railways and cable cars. There is a map that shows the various discounts

swiss-pass.ch/sites/default/files/pdf/swiss-…

A Swiss Pass is likely the most expensive option for your trip. You might try using the information on the Swiss Rail website as well as on the Rick Steves website (given to you above) to determine your best option.

If you go to the Swiss Rail website and then look under the Leisure and Holidays tab for International Guests you will find lots of information.

Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Zermatt