We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

We will be taking a train from Zermatt to Milan at the end of our stay in Switzerland. We will have the Half Fare Card as well as the Family Card so our 14 year old son will travel free. I have two questions:

1. Do we need to make reservations in advance for that trip?

2. Will we have to buy our son a ticket?

Thank you for any help in advance!

Helen :-)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

Hi, the answer is yes to reservations (required in Italy and can be made at the station in Zermatt) and yes, your son will need a ticket from the border to Milan amd you will pay full fare as well because your half price card applies only as far as the border. Be sure the ticket agent knows you have both the half care cad and the family card when you get your tickets for Milan.

Hope this helps.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

Thank you, Kileysmom! Should I get the tickets in advance? Online before we go? Or will there be no problem to get them at the last minute there? It will be on Sunday June 30th. We will be in Zermatt for a couple of days before that, so I could possibly do it a there a couple days before we travel. I appreciate your help!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

Hi, or elsewhere in Switzerland before you arrive in Zermatt. I wouldn't wait much past arriving in Zermatt as it is summer and you might not be able to get seats together. There are at least 4 trains with just the required change in Brig and many more with 2 changes. It's not like there is only one train each day.

Hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

Hi Helen, A few days ago on May 24th I bought online and printed my 4 electronic tickets from Milan to Brig for travel on August 6th paying the "smart fare" price of 19 euros each. I just went to www.trenitalia.com and checked your date for Brig to Milan. There are only 3 morning trains from Brig to Milan at 7:44, 8:44, 9:44, and four other trains beginning at 14:44. The only morning train that you can still buy the "smart fare" 19 euros price is the 7:44 train. The Half Fare Card price is 30 euros each. To see times and prices go to the above trenitalia link and click the British flag and then put in your date and time. On the next web page choose a train time and then check the box that says "view other prices and services" and then choose "smart fare" if still available and if not choose HTX Switzerland which is the Half Fare Card. If you are going to buy your Half Fare Card in Switzerland you need the information from the card in order to buy the electronic ticket on the Trenitalia web site. If you know your dates of travel in Italy you can save big by buying and printing your tickets as far ahead as possible on the trenitalia web site. If the "super economy" tickets are not sold out they are only 9 euros and the 9 and 19 euros ticket includes your seat reservation. Regional train prices don't go up in Italy closer to the day of travel--just the faster reserved seat trains.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

WOW! Thank you SO much! I really appreciate you looking it up and giving me all the detailed info. What a blessing! I will get right on it and book. :-)

6. Re: Reservations for train from Zermatt to Milan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 31, 2014