We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt restaurants and hiking

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Zermatt restaurants and hiking

We will be in Zermatt April 5-8. We are traveling with our son who is a chef so a sampling of Zermatt's best restaurants is high on our agenda. I have booked lunch at Chez Vrony and Zum See. Since we are there for only 3 days I want to spend time wisely. I debated between Vrony and Findlerhof. Any opinions? We prefer local fare not necessarily fine dining. Also, we are hikers not skiers. Any suggestions on how to best get to these mountain side restaurants? Would low top hiking boots be fine or would we be trudging through deep snow? Also any suggestions for restaurants in town with local fare and fun atmosphere?

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

You cannot go wrong with either Vrony or Findlerhof so if you have a reservation keep it. In town there are numerous options and few if any disappoint. Weisshorn, Molinari, a number of hotel restaurants Monte Rosa, Derby, post, etc. all have good fare.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

Both Chez Vrony and Findlerhof are excellent. And you can use one of the winer walking paths to get there... see this link for details:

zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/erlebnis/winteraktivi…

the section from Winkelmattern to Findeln is a little steep. It would be easier to take the Sunnega Express to Sunnega and walk down to Findeln and then walk back up again. And since this is a maintained path, normal hiking boots will be fine. Bon appétit!

Leesburg, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

Thank you so much for your reply. If we take the Sunnega Express up to the restaurant do you recommend continuing on to Rothorn or save our high excursion for the Matterhorn Express? I would like to get the best views of the Matterhorn of course if not socked in with clouds!

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

For the best view of the Matterhorn, Sunnegga is not a bad place at all. Klein Matterhorn is great to see an amazing view of the Alps but is not the best view of the Matterhorn as you only see the east face rather than the classic pyramid view that you get from Sunnegga.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

I personally think that the best view(s) of the Matterhorn are from:

The bridge in the village near the Parish church

The Gornergrat

Findelen

And Schwarzsee

Paul - what do you think??

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

All good suggestions.

Edited: 3:42 pm, March 30, 2013
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

theres a great view of the Matterhorn from chez vrony especially if the weathers nice and you eat outside on the terrace.

Be careful if the sun is shinning, last time I was there I got sunburnt over a 2 hour lunch

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

Good advice - people always underestimate the effect the sun has at altitude... Total sun block, hat and good sunglasses are a must...

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

your right a hat is a must ,you could fry an egg on a bald mans head up there.

I was in a restaurant over in Cervina and a famous singer sat opp me outdoors made great use of the old knotted handkerchief

10. Re: Zermatt restaurants and hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 08, 2014