We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

Mr LL and I arrived Sat for 3 weeks - we were here for the first time 5 (yikes!) years ago.

Firstly many thanks to all the regular posters on this forum for all your most helpful advice. I would like to add a few comments of my own:-

- We used the Swiss Rail checked luggage from Zurich train station to Zermatt - worked like a dream - beats struggling with ski bags etc. (The fly-rail option did not work for us as we had a few days stopover in Frankfurt and Lufthansa in Frankfurt had no idea what we were taking about.). Since we were staying in an apartment we needed to go back the Zermatt train station to collect our luggage - but we just left this until the following day as we did not need our ski-bags and gear bag on Sat evening).

- We asked the person in the Zurich baggage office if he could validate our Swiss Rail transfer pass and he said it was already validated - so no need. Now I'm not sure why this was but we had Swiss Rail courier the tickets to us in Sydney when we bought them on the web site.

- For some reason the mad-house at Visp when changing trains (around 4pm on Sat) did not eventuate - almost everyone got a seat.

- We rented an apartment in Winklematten with some advance concern about the location but it has turned out to be just perfect - right at one of the ski bus stops (the one before the chapel) and only a 10 minute walk to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise gondola station. (It's about 15 minutes walk into town). The apartment itself is also perfect for our needs - newly renovated.

- We hired ski/boot/helmet storage at the ski shop at the base of the gondola - absolutely fantastic - no walking in ski boots, carrying skis etc. All for 12CHF per day for a double locker in a very nice clean and heated room with padded benches. This service does not seem to be advertised - you just ask at the ski shop.

- Some of the advice on this forum on the cost of electric taxis seems to be out of date - it costs 26CHF one-way from the train station (say) to our apartment in Winklematten.

- The extension of the gondola all the way to Trockner Steg is fantastic - it really helps "open up" the whole area for those skiers who want to start their day at the gondola.

- I bought a pair of those slip-on anti-skid "things" for my hiking boots (I use hiking boots as apres-ski boots) - an excellent investment.

So here's to 3 weeks of sunny days and snowy nights.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

Thanks for the updates and inforation, LL. I didn't realize the taxis are so much ore expensive to Winklematten! It's the "regular" fare to the Antares by the gondola life station - maybe taxi to there and walk?

Hope you have great weather!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
675 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

Thank you for taking the time to post a lot of good information. I enjoyed your review.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

We are going to Zermatt in early May, so keep the tips coming!

Thanks

4. Re: Back in Zermatt after 5 years - a few comments and tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 01, 2014