We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski conditions this April

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Ski conditions this April

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering Zermatt for our ski trip either the 1st or 2nd week of April. Can anybody comment on what the ski conditions are expected to be like this year around that time?

Thank you for your replies.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski conditions this April

Variable, and subject to change.

West Linton, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski conditions this April

Although Zermatt is high, the slopes tend to get a lot of sun. As gotlegal says, it could be anything, but typically crusty in the morning, slushy in the afternoon. Often the best skiing at that time of the year is to be done between 11:00 and 13:00, so skip lunch and replace it with a mid afternoon sit in the sun, with a glass of chilled white or a beer!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski conditions this April

Thank you Rick.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski conditions this April

Sophie F --Rick rightly warned you about freeze/thaw. That is one possibility. There are countless others, Heavy snow, slush, flat light, white outs, glorious sunshine, perfect snow, artificial snow, powder, high winds, etc. AND, very often, there are very different conditions in the different areas of Zermatt, ON THE SAME DAY. The Gornergrat side may have fabulous conditions and the Klein Matter side may be closed. That happens all the time. On a beautiful day, the Rothorn side may be closed due to avalanche danger. After a heavy snow there may be sea of moguls everywhere.

While my brief post may have annoyed you, it was accurate. No one knows!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski conditions this April

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't word my question well. I am not looking for a definition of sping skiing. I spring ski every year.

I was hoping for some insight on what the predictions are for this year given the amount of snow that has fallen etc.

Edited: 3:54 pm, February 17, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski conditions this April

I don't think that conditions now have any implications for April except that the exceptional base makes increases the likehood that links and certain pistes stay open later in the season. Conditions are wonderful now, and could still be be April. But spring conditons can take hold quickly irrespective of the base depth. And forecasts beyond one week in Europe are frankly crystal ball gazing.

That said, conditons in Zermatt will be amongst the best in Europe given altitude etc. Probably....

That's the predicition for what it is worth from someone skiing in Valais now, and planning to be doing so in the first half of April too.

Edited: 5:12 pm, February 17, 2013
Santa Eulalia del...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski conditions this April

After previous years skiing in Zermatt in April you can never be sure. We have had years where we have been skiing in jumpers as it was so hot, and others where we can cold conditions, snow through the night and beautiful days with powder. Usually you will have good skiing in the morning and then slushy in the afternoon, so early morning skiing is better than a lazy lunch time ski if that helps!

8. Re: Ski conditions this April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 20, 2014