We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt Lift Tickets

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
Save Topic
Zermatt Lift Tickets

Can anybody provide some more information regarding the best deal for Zermatt lift tickets? We are planning on skiing 6 days straight and are pretty adventurous about exploring a lot of the mountain each day. Does the Zermatt SkiPass provide the best option for us? How much of a discount can we get if buy a SwissRail pass too? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

You can get a 6 day pass upon arrival but check out the forecast first to ensure conditions are good. You only need a Cervinia add on on the day or days you plan on going. I am not aware of a discount based on a rail pass in conjunction with a ski pass.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Hi, there's no discount for ski passes. There is a discount if you have a rail pass or discount card for a non-skier to go up and back down on a sightseeing trip or to meet someone for lunch for example.

If you are simply travelling from either Geneva or Zurich to Zermatt and back to catch a plane, your best rail price is what is called the transfer ticket. You can get them on

www.gemut.com

or

www.ricksteves.com

You have to buy them before you arrive in Switzerland - they are the only Swiss Rail product that you can't purchase in Switzerland.

If you plan to do other travel in Switzerland, you will need to do some math to figure out your best option. It's likely to turn out to be a half fare card or Swiss card (they are different products - the Swiss Card is a transfer card for the first and last trips by rail and a half fare card for everything in between). The only way to know for sure is to look up the fares on the English language pages of the Swiss Rail website

www.sbb.ch/en

Hope this helps. PS I'm curious about your screen name!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Thanks for the inputs. I was planning on a 6 day pass but the point about the weather forecast is a good one to consider.

@kileysmom: I grew up in Eagle River, AK from 1980 and graduated from Chugiak high in 1994. I now reside in south FL. Quite the extremes I know but I do make it back to AK every few years. I've actually got a couple friends from Anchorage joining me and my wife on this Zermatt trip.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Thanks for the explanation! I'll send you a PM.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Hi kileysmom - you indicated that "there's no discount for ski passes. There is a discount if you have a rail pass or discount card for a non-skier to go up and back down on a sightseeing trip or to meet someone for lunch for example."

I would love to know what you are speaking of as my girlfriend will be with me and she doesn't ski but she would love to join me on the mountain for lunches, etc.

Thank you!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

If you have a half fare card from Swiss Rail or some of the other Swiss Rail products, you get a discount on some of the lifts. How are you getting to Zermatt? Are you using passes, half fare cards?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

We were just planning on taking a train from ZRH to Zermatt and back. We won't be using any other trains on this trip. I didn't think that a discount from Swiss Rail would be available for such a minimal trip, but I will certainly look.

Thank you!

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Typically the Swiss Transfer Ticket is the best ticket option. Kiley's mom gave a email addresses in am previous post here.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Hi, for the skiers, the transfer ticket is the best for a simple ZRH-Zermatt-ZRH. However, it may not be best for the non-skier as it doesn't give a discount for the lifts in Zermatt. For those, you need a half fare card (gets you half fare on all rail journeys including the Gornergrat as well as a fare as a non-skier on the Matterhorn Paradise system up to the Klein and a reduced fare on the Sunegga system. Or what is called the Swiss Card provides the same discount and may work as well - it is a transfer ticket with half fares in between the first and last use as a transfer ticket.

The only way to know which works out best is to make an estimate as to how much your girlfriend will be coming to lunch and to which place. I suggest you'll only do lunch at the Klein once and more often at Sunegga (this is the one within walking distance of places like Chez Vrony), along the Gornergrat or at Furi.

You will see on this page the prices with a discount

zermatt.ch/en/…prices

Just click on any of the lifts for the prices and you will see a second column or fares saying HT (half tariff).

The transfer ticket has to be purchased before you arrive in Switzerland. When that is my best choice, I get it from either

www.gemut.com or

www.ricksteves.com

You can get the Swiss Card from these places as well but the half fare card has to be purchased in Switzerland (cheaper to get it in Switzerland and it only takes a couple of minutes at the station in ZRH).

Here's the link for the prices in Switzerland

sbb.ch/en/…swisstravelsystem-buchung.html

The prices may be increasing on January 1 so it may be worthwhile to make a decision and order this week. I would call either gemut or Rick Steves and see what the prices are doing - it's an annual contract price.

Sit down with a big sheet of paper and add up the options - it's the only way to know which works out to be the best price.

Hope this helps.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zermatt Lift Tickets

Thank you kileysmom - I agree that estimating how many times we plan to meet makes sense - we know it will be three days, just not where we want to meet. While it may be more expensive, I'm thinking that buying a lift ticket for her as well is best for each day. Plus, we want to meet up in Cervinia area as well.

I would like to do the Swiss Card for her but my concern is that the half-fares don't include ski lifts and I can't imagine she could use it everyday, right?

Seems like a lot of money to have a "non-skier" but I think this is the option we will likely choose.