We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski school for adult beginners

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ski school for adult beginners

A couple of us visiting Zermatt in 2 weeks are looking to take ski lessons and are adult beginners. I've read good things about AER ski school on the forum and on the web which I quite like the sound of but unfortunately apart from an email exchange with them almost a week ago they have fallen silent and not responded to any other emails regarding booking, which concerns me a little. The other schools we have mailed have responded within the day. Does anyone have any experiences with AER to share (positive/negative welcome) for adult begginers?

Our other choices are Summit or the Swiss Ski School, Summit seems a little bit more expensive but we are torn between both of these as I haven't read anything overly positive nor negative about either. Appreciate any thoughts on these two schools? Stoked unfortunately is fully booked on our dates.

Thanks!!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

Beginners?? skied once before or never??

Private or Group lessons??

EXACT dates

Generally in Europe (Switzerland, Austria, France) the skischools are all very good (due to the training/licencing they are required to have) and in the major resorts plenty of english/multilingual instructors.

Your Dates/requirements are important.

Skischools group lessons for complete beginners generally start on a Sunday or Monday. Ski schools generally don't allow complete beginners to join part way through as this means revisiting everything they did on previous days.

Beginner/Intermediates (those who have some ski experience) find more flexibility in the skischool.

If requiring private lessons then obviously more flexibilitiy.

"In 2 weeks" puts you in the New Year week and I can then understand your wish to get something booked at such a busy time hence your dates and requirements being even more important

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

I should have mentioned private lessons and pretty much complete beginners. sounds like all schools are pretty much similar when it comes to complete beginners. Thanks

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

Regardless, they should at least respond to you. I would not hesitate to use the other ski schools as they have very good reputations.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

As someone who started skiing in zermatt I can testify that it was a great place to learn!! I would also recommend taking a private lesson for one morning - say the Sunday am - before ski school starts on the monday. That way at least you know how to walk on skis, put them on and most importantly, how to get up when you fall. Private instruction is expensive - think 400+frs for half a day - and beginners seem to learn better in a group situation, so don't go for private teaching for the whole time... With 2 weeks you will be skiing quite well when you end your holiday. Sounds perfect!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
155 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

Hi there

I am one of the satisfied AER customers - I have to say I am very surprised they have not got back to you as we have always found them very responsive and have been very happy with the lessons they have provided for our children (as have the children!) I wonder if some technical issue is to blame? I certainly wouldn't write them off just yet! They are small, friendly, and demand a high level of qualification from their instructors.

In fairness we have also in the past used Stoked and the Swiss Ski school without any real issue but just liked the 'feel' of AER. The only one we haven't used is Summit (no reason especially) but in truth most of the schools would probably meet your requirments.

The two emails I have for AER are info@aerzone.ch and bookings@aerzone.ch if that helps!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

If expense is not an issue, I would strongly recommend a private instructor. We also learned to ski as adults in Zermatt forever ago, and our original teacher and his family are lifelong friends. Our first time experience is one of the reasons we fell in love with Zermatt. Plus, facilities for adult beginners are light years ahead of where they were. I suggest a private instructor because it removes what might be a competitive atmosphere in adult group lessons. No one is happy as Tail End Charlie. I hesitate to recommend a school, since my judgement would be clouded by friendship, but you are getting good advice here.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

All good advice above.

Private lessons ensure you get plenty of attention from the instructor and your tuition can progress at the same rate as your learning You'll not be held up by anyone else in a group).

Group lessons can be a fun way to progress as a beginner. Learning by watching other's successes and failures can lead to an even faster progression than taking private lessons alone. That's assuming there aren't too many people with the instructor so check the maximum number permitted in a group.

I'm sure you'll have a great time learning to ski, whoever you choose to ski with.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

Lots of good advice above. After many years of organising holiday groups including adult beginners, I would thoroughly recommend private lessons if your budget will stretch that far. Most of the ski schools in Zermatt have a good reputation. My only experience is with Summit. Their instructors are all English speaking.

Have a great time - you shouldn't be short of snow.

Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

Great thanks! turns our morning classes are full for skiing so we have decided to take morning private snowboard lessons!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski school for adult beginners

http://stoked.ch/?lang=en

I recommend Stoked, they taught my Children and improved my skiing.

Very easy to find.