We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Transfer Ticket

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Transfer Ticket

I am having trouble understanding how a Swiss Transfer Ticket works. We will be arriving in Zurich and going directly to Zermatt for a short 4 day ski vacation and then back to Zurich. The Swiss Transfer Ticket sounds like it is the best option, but I don't really understand how it works. Once I purchase the Swiss Transfer Ticket, do you need to book reservations for the dates and specific train. Does a reservation cost an additional amount. With a transfer ticket do I not get a reserved seat? Why would I buy a Swiss Transfer ticket instead of just booking a roundtrip ticket that guarentees my seat on a specific train? Please help!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

A transfer ticket which must be bought outside Switzerland gives you the return trip to your resort.

Looking at the cost on www.sbb.ch the transfer ticker costs

Second Class CHF130

First class CHF 208

however the cost of buying an ordinary ticket appears to be

Second class return CHF 238

First Class return CHF 408CHF

So there would be a considerable saving achieved buying the transfer ticket.

You can reserve a seat whether you buy an ordinary ticket or a transfer ticket neither comes with a reserved seat. I have never reserved a seat so I have no idea how you do it.

If you choose the times on the timetable you think you will be travelling it will show how full the train is expected to be.

You can find out all about the different passes on www.sbb.ch go to Leisure and holidays and then International guests.

Edited: 2:36 pm, December 07, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Hi, From Zurich to Zermatt and back to Zurich, the transfer ticket is ideal. If you are travelling on Saturday from Zurich or Zurich Airport, you might want to see about reservations as the trains from either until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon can be very full. There's no requirement to have a reservation.

Coming from Zermatt, you can simply get to the station 20 minutes before departure and you can get a seat to Visp. From Visp to Zurich is not usually an issue even on Saturday.

Hope this helps

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Swiss trains - like the New York subway - don't 'do' seat reservations.

Tickets and transfer tickets are both just pieces of paper. With them, you walk up to any train, hop on, and sit in any empty seat.

It really is that simple.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Make sure that you do not sit in a first class car with a second class ticket. The cars are clearly marked. Also, make sure you are not in a quiet car if you plan on conversing, talking of the phone, playing the drums, etc. etc. By the way, all of the foregoing are allowed on NYC subways. The drummers can be quite annoyiing.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

@gotlegal: thumbs up!

30,000 Feet
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

We just used the Swiss Transfer Ticket on the exact same itinerary.

It was a breeze.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Im travelling from zurich to zermatt, then to geneva... and back to zurich again. Which pass is recommended? Im confused with e different type of passes.. pls help and recommend the most savings.. :)

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Im travelling from zurich to zermatt, then to geneva... and back to zurich again. Which pass is recommended? Im confused with e different type of passes.. pls help and recommend the most savings.. :)

West Linton, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

I've used them many times from Zurich and Geneva, to Zermatt, Wengen and Verbier. I have never reserved a seat and never needed to, but I travel in 1st class which is usually only a quarter full. 2nd class can be a bit full.

Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Transfer Ticket

Prislee13

You can check the individual point to point ticket ptices on sbb.ch but I would suggest a 3-day Swiss Flexi-Pass would be ideal for you. Valid for 1 month, there are 3 blank spaces into which you write the date when you are travelling. This can be ANY three days within the month, not necessarily consecutive (hence the " flexi " . The pass is presented to the ticket inspector.

Edited: 3:23 pm, January 24, 2013