My boyfriend and I are planning to take a trip around Switzerland from 2-10 November 2012. Basically I am following the suggested 10 day itinerary on the www.myswitzerland.com website and have modified it according to our interests.
We will start our trip from Geneva instead of Basel because our home base will be in Geneva (He flies out of Geneva on the 11th). We would like to maximise our trip while it still being relaxing, so ideally a longer stay in either in 1 mountain town like Zermatt or a resort town like Lugano and day trips along the way.
I apologise in advance if the itinerary seems incoherent and inefficient as the itinerary is a work in progress, any suggestions on our overall trip and specific legs of our journey are much appreciated:
1. DRAFT ITINERARY
a. 2 November: Day trip from Geneva to Montreux
• Chillon Castle
• Rochers-de-Naye: If we’re doing Jungfrau and Zermatt, can we skip this one?
• Overnight stay in Montreux, is it worth it?
• Option 2: I was thinking of pushing the day trip to Montreux at the end of our trip, and from Geneva take the train to Montreux and transfer to the Golden Pass to Interlaken and spend the night there.
b. 3 November: Interlaken – Jungfraujoch - Zermatt
• Depart Montreux for Interlaken via Golden Pass early morning and go directly to Jungfraujoch, day trip.
• From Jungfraujoch, descend to Interlaken and take the train to Zermatt.
• Spend night in Zermatt
c. 4-5 November: Zermatt and Matterhorn
• Alpine hike from Riffelalp to Findeln valley
• Option 2: An alternative for this leg is Jungrfrau and Bettmerhorn I feel it's a shame if we are not able to see Matterhorn from Rothorn or hike from Zermatt to Sunnegga
d. 6 November: Zermatt – Lucerne - Zurich
• Depart Zermatt for Lucerne
• City tour of Lucerne
• Take afternoon train to Zurich and spend night here
• Option 2: 6-7 November: Zermatt – Lugano
i. Depart Zermatt for Lugano
ii. City tour of Lugano
iii. 3 Castles, Defencive Wall in Bellinzona
3 Castles, Defencive Wall in Bellinzona
e. 7 November: Zurich - Basel
• City tour of Zurich
• Taken afternoon train to Basel and spend night here
f. 8-9 November: Basel - Geneva
• Tour of Old Town
• River cruise of Rheinfelden
• Return to Geneva
g. 10 November: Geneva
• Day trip of Geneva (J’deau, CERN, United Nations)
2. ZERMATT AND JUNGFRAU
Upon doing my research, I found out that lifts to areas with a good view of the Matterhorn are closed early November and won't upon until the last week in time for the winter season (e.g. Rothorn, Sunnegga), just want to confirm if this is true. The same is true for lifts in Jungfrau, the lifts to Grindelwald-Männlichen are closed during the days we plan to visit. We also want to hike the trail from Zermatt-Findeln-Sunnegga.
In light of the fact that some of the important areas of Zermatt and Jungfrau are closed during our trip, would it still be worth it to visit these Zermatt and Jungfrau?
3. St. Moritz
Should I even consider this at all? I have read about how beautiful St. Moritz is, but unless we are spending a ski vacation here, I feel it might not be worth it.
Thanks all for your inputs.