We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

We are 11 adults and two 14 year old girls coming to Zermatt to ski 18 Feb 2006. Any advice for us? Are there any catered chalets that would hold us all or would we be better off in a hotel with half board? Thanks!

Griffin Ski Club from Boston USA

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

http://www.zermatt.ch/e/accommodation/chalet/

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

This year will be my 5th trip to Zermatt. So far I have stayed at the Hotel Perren (3*) three times and Hotel Admiral (3*) once. Both are very nice, but the Hotel Perren has the edge when it comes to breakfast and dinner (we always go half board). I would stay at either again without hesitation as they are ideally located very close to the funicular. Be careful with hotels that are in the middle of town. It can be a long walk in ski boots to the closest lift. There are buses, but they are generally very crowded. I also don't mind the Taxi's as long as I'm in them and not a target for them (they drive a little crazy in those little electric taxis).

This year we're staying at the Hotel National (4*) just for a change of pace. Unfortunately, we'll be there two weeks before you so we can't give you any pointers or tours (we know the slopes there quite well by now).

I do know that some very large ski clubs down my way stayed at the Hotel Ambassador (4*). It seemed to have quite a few rooms and apartments. That might be a good bet as well. It's close to the Gornergrat rail station and not TOO far from the funicular.

For apres-ski (not the 14 year olds), try Papperla Pub.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

This year will be my 5th trip to Zermatt. So far I have stayed at the Hotel Perren (3*) three times and Hotel Admiral (3*) once. Both are very nice, but the Hotel Perren has the edge when it comes to breakfast and dinner (we always go half board). I would stay at either again without hesitation as they are ideally located very close to the funicular. Be careful with hotels that are in the middle of town. It can be a long walk in ski boots to the closest lift. There are buses, but they are generally very crowded. I also don't mind the Taxi's as long as I'm in them and not a target for them (they drive a little crazy in those little electric taxis).

This year we're staying at the Hotel National (4*) just for a change of pace. Unfortunately, we'll be there two weeks before you so we can't give you any pointers or tours (we know the slopes there quite well by now).

I do know that some very large ski clubs down my way stayed at the Hotel Ambassador (4*). It seemed to have quite a few rooms and apartments. That might be a good bet as well. It's close to the Gornergrat rail station and not TOO far from the funicular.

For apres-ski (not the 14 year olds), try Papperla Pub.

Let me know if you have any questions.

bdrewen@comcast.net

Boston
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

Hi,

We are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 teen girls (14 and 17)looking to find the right trip to Europe for Presidents' Week. Can you tell me if you joined a charter trip or organized your own? We would love to go to Zermatt.

Thank you,

Michael Vitale

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

Mr. Fish - Hi, You don't need to join a group to go to Zermatt - it's dead easy to do independently - I go every year and do it all myself. First, you can fly into Geneva or Zurich and transfer from the airport by train very easily and not too expensively. Go to sbb.ch/en for train info and check out the transfer ticket - good for airport to resort and back. If you want a bit more to see, fly into Frankfurt or Milan and take the train but allow an extra day on each end. You can book hotels or chalets or apartments on line by using the advice here or going to zermatt.ch and linking up with the booking site. I've stayed at the Antares for 20+ years and love it - terrific views of the Matterhorn from private balconies and food that is out of this world. It's just about 25 steps from the Trockener Steg lift system. If you can hook up with a group of ten or more, get group air fares, etc. If you fly out of Boston on a Friday night, you can easily be in Zermatt by late afternoon on Saturday. You can leave Zermatt on Saturday AM and stay overnight in Geneva or Zurich and then fly home on Sunday. Post here if you want more info and I'll watch this thread. Have fun figuring it out!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

My wife and I are going to Zermatt (via Zurich) in a few weeks. We are only there for a few days...Fly into Zurich early 24.11, train to Zermatt where we stay for 2 nights, train to Luzern for the day and then on to Zurich late on 26.11 to stay and catch an early flight out on 27.11. Regarding the transfer...is it possible to purchase it to go to Zermatt but get off the train on the return in Luzern? We would then just purchase a relatively inexpensive Luzern-Zurich ticket. I didn't know if there was a penalty for not completing the return of the transfer.

Thanks.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

> We would then just purchase a relatively inexpensive Luzern-Zurich ticket. I didn't know if there was a penalty for not completing the return of the transfer.

Of course you can do it - I'm puzzled, how would they know that you didn't complete the return???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

Figured that would be the case but being a relatively novice train rider, I did not know if they had systems in place to prevent that from happening.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

However...I do notice that the transfer states that you must take the most direct routing. Zermatt to Luzern is not the most direct routing. Is that an issue?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zermatt 18 Feb with 13 people

I would recommend to ask at the station. Even if not, ask for a supplement for the re-routing. You would pay a difference between the normal tickets on both routes.

On the other hand, if you go via Spiez-Interlaken-Luzern to Zürich instead of via Bern, it would be slower but actually more direct and the route is much more scenic. At least a ticket from Zürich to Interlaken via Luzern is definitely cheaper and km-wise shorter than the faster way via Bern.

Confusing, isn't it? :-)

Better let the SBB office at the airport confirm it to you when you arrive.