We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt to Milan

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Zermatt to Milan
Save

What is the recommended way to travel from Zermatt to Milan?

I'll be going to Zermatt near the end of January and plan to travel to Milan after that.

Thank you.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
60,689 posts
249 reviews
377 helpful votes
1. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Train Zermatt to Brig. Chane there for a train bound for Milan Centrale station. Journey time is roughly 3 hours. You will need a reservation on the Brig/Milan train. Get all details and reservation on http://www.sbb.ch/en

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Hi, thanks for replying =)

Zermatt - Milano Centrale

Via Brig Bahnhofplatz - Brig

Duration: 03:24

Prices per person: 126.00 CHF

- Is the above correct?

- In this case should I purchase a "Swiss Half Fare Card" at 120.00 CHF?

Thanks again =)

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

I have rent a car for my 3 days trip in Switzerland, but I understand that Zermatt is a car-free area, so I will drop off my car in Tasch and then go to Zermatt by public transport.

The next day I will travel to Italy by train as suggested by Hambagahle.

Should I purchase a Swiss Travel Pass in this case?

If yes which travel pass suits me the most?

I'm so confused by the options of the travel passes available

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
60,689 posts
249 reviews
377 helpful votes
4. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

It doesn't make sense to get a Swiss Travel Pass if you are (a) renting a car while here and (b) then spending time in Zermatt. And the STP or the HFC won't help all that much with the ticket Zermatt to Milan. The border station is Domodossola - so you have to pay full fare anyway from there to Milan.

2nd class fare per person Zermatt to Milan is 79frs. 1st class is 126frs.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Thanks again Hambagahle =)

Would you recommend me to purchase the train ticket online before arrival?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
60,689 posts
249 reviews
377 helpful votes
6. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Probably a good idea. Italian train fares change. Ours do not. But the person who can give you the best advice on this is "Krist v" - I suggest you send him a private message... and ask him for his advice.

Petaling Jaya...
1 post
7. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Hi,

I see that train prices bought via SBB is cheaper than Trenitalia if travelling from Milano Central to Brig.

128 Euro as compared to 124CHF for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (11+14)

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Trenintalia gives 50% off to children up to 12, and SBB up to their 16th birthday. That could explain the difference.

One thing: If you book at sbb.ch, book all the way to your final destination in Switzerland. There is no need to buy a ticket Milan - Brig and then a separate ticket Brig - Zermatt for example. On http://www.sbb.ch you can buy Milan - Zermatt in one go.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
9. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

Hi all, i am going to zermatt from milan next sat and return to milan on the next day.

may i know the most convenient/scenic route (e.g. via Brig, Visp, Domo or Domodossola)? and which is the cheapest way to book these tickets (book from SBB in one go or Trenitalia+SBB)? how long time should be allowed for transit?

and noting that there is different stations for Brig (e.g. Brig, Biela) and Zermatt (e.g. Zermatt GGB), should i just select "Brig" and "Zermatt" when booking the tickets?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Zermatt to Milan
Save

You can book MIlan - Zermatt on www.sbb.ch. The route goes via Domodossola and Brig. You can safely accept the schedule proposed by SBB.

The SBB planner knows every public transit stop in Switzerland so can plan to any of them. However the main railway station is (apart from a few exceptions) always just called after the town. You are going to Zermatt, and that is what you should buy a ticket for.

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.